Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Generator strap

Post by 1955fle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:23 pm

Just purchased a generator strap for my '55 FL from a member, Great experience! Now I have a question. I have looked in all of my manuals and parts books to see how to mount the strap and have come up empty. I have not looked at the bike yet which might make it obvious, but how does it mount? I know once your reply it will be easy to figure out.

thanks
Carl

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Generator strap

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Carl
Its not real obvious how the strap mounts until you remove the generator from the engine, then it becomes VERY obvious.

You must remove the generator to install the beveled rear mounting screw into the dished spot for it on the engine case, it can only go on one way. The "T" bolt in the hinge goes toward the front and the bolt will point straight down to where it fastens. Like I said, it will all clear up once you remove the generator from the engine.

mike

1955fle
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Mike, thanks for the reply. Do you know how many shims I will need when I reinstall the generator? I am thinking three 0.004 paper shims, but I am not sure. I also read something on the forum from Cotton about using epoxy and pressing it between the generator and case. Is this a better way to do it or should I just make some shims?

-Carl

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Given any thought to using brass instead of paper for shims?

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Carl,
The shims serve 2 purposes, they support the bottom of the generator and they also help maintain the correct clearance or lash between the idler gear and the drive gear on the armature. Determining the correct lash is difficult unless you remove the cam cover and actually measure it while installing the generator. Incorrect clearance can cause several problems such as an annoying gear whine noise or eventual failure of the bearing and shaft in the generator if it is set too tight.

Stacking paper shims is trial and error and it is also reversable, you can "adjust" if necessary by adding or removing them. The method that Cotten proposes is more or less permanent, you fill the gap under the generator with a pliable putty type of epoxy while you are setting the correct lash. Once the epoxy hardens the generator is bedded into the cradle and there is no adjusting it. If you ever change generators or gears or anything you have to remove the old epoxy and do it all over again.

Don't forget to keep the drain holes lined up and open under the generator when you are making and installing the shims.

mike

1955fle
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:50 pm

I removed the generator last summer, because it was not producing the proper level of power. It was full of oil. I disassembled it and cleaned everything and it now works fine. I do not remember any shims added between the generator and the case. Is it possible that there are no shims, or are they just missing? There is no whine or any other apparent problems with the generator. I do think it needs a new oil deflector as it was ding up and there was a lot of oil in the generator. So that being stated, how should I approach adding shims and making this setup proper?

thanks Carl

FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Carl
There may not ever have been any shim under it but it is more likely that the original has been lost over the years and never replaced.

If everything seems OK with the way it is currently bolted up you may want to try and check the clearance it has now, BEFORE you take anything apart. Try pushing a feeler gage under it to see what the clearance is now. You could also try a variety of brass shim stock as Panz4ever suggested to see if anything will slide under it or how much air gap you have.

mike

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Here is a KB article about the paper shims: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=712

1955fle
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for the help. So if everything is working there may be some space between the bottom of the generator and the case. If there is I should shim it. Also I just got the strap for it. So I guess I am lucky that I did not have bigger problems with it.

FlatHeadSix wrote:Carl
There may not ever have been any shim under it but it is more likely that the original has been lost over the years and never replaced.

If everything seems OK with the way it is currently bolted up you may want to try and check the clearance it has now, BEFORE you take anything apart. Try pushing a feeler gage under it to see what the clearance is now. You could also try a variety of brass shim stock as Panz4ever suggested to see if anything will slide under it or how much air gap you have.

mike

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Please remember that my epoxy tip was to put it in a small plastic bag like a 'zip-lock' about the size of the shim area (and to avoid blocking the drain.)

I'm sure it is just too easy.

....Cotten

Return to “Electrical”