Delco Remy Starter

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panz4ever

Delco Remy Starter

Post by panz4ever » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:59 am

Anyone have a source for parts for the 65-66 starter. Doing some maintenance on my 65 because I am planning to put some long miles on her this summer and realized it has been a long time since I did any maintenance on the starter.

If no one has a parts source would appreciate any tips on who I can send it to for inspection/rebuild that can also provide a decent turnaround time

Sir_Rat
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Re: Delco Remy Starter

Post by Sir_Rat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 am

I would check with Bill's Custom Cycles for NOS or at least OEM Parts. They are open Tue-Sat. Just google them for the phone or search this site. They are in here somewhere.
Aloha...Mike

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm pretty sure no one will have any thing stock for a HD DR starter, but ya never know ( more likely Accel ). You can pretty much rebuild it your self ,if its in working order.Most just need cleaning up , maybe new brush set.
I put one from Jireh cycles in my 65 ,a high torque unit & it is a world of diff. from the OEM one . All Balls has them also ,I believe, but much more $$.

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Thinking about doing that while I figure out how/where to get parts for the original one. Any problem mounting these new types. Bike is stock except for tires (Dunlop) and paint (rattle can). Going call Bills tomorrow and probably give Ruiters a call as well.

Seems like there are lot of 65 pans on the road and you seem them at the AMCA events, so someone has to be able to do the work or have the parts so I can. And you are right, was looking at the book last night and there is not a whole of moving parts

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:36 am

fourthgear wrote:I'm pretty sure no one will have any thing stock for a HD DR starter, but ya never know ( more likely Accel ). You can pretty much rebuild it your self ,if its in working order.Most just need cleaning up , maybe new brush set.
I put one from Jireh cycles in my 65 ,a high torque unit & it is a world of diff. from the OEM one . All Balls has them also ,I believe, but much more $$.
The high torque unit ....does it recommend a minimum CCA on the battery? All Balls is touted as a high torque unit and recommends a 300CCA battery. Using a sealed battery from Jireh that is a duplicate of the 65-84 FLH battery. CCA is about 190. Bike is stock configuration for a 65 but seen a lot of life since 1970. No yamazaki eater by any stretch of the means.

So the questions is...does your starter have any such recommendation? Should I have a problem with something like an All Balls/high torque unit in a stock set up?

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 pm

I have a Superglide type batt. set up(AGM, not sure of the CCW , much smaller batt. than the FLH type) in there now . I can look at the box tonight when I get home & on the batt.. I'll get the info.

Return to “Electrical”