Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Help! I need to setup my generator correctly

Post by 1955fle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:15 pm

I have a stock, mostly original "55 FL. The generator has only ever been mounted with just the two mounting screws. I now have a mounting strap and mounting kit with the square plate with the hole in it. What I need to know is what is the small plate for? How does it mount? And how concerned should I be with the end play of the generator. Thanks in advance for the help. -Carl

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Help! I need to setup my generator correctly

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:39 am

Carl,
The square plate is the shim that goes under the generator. If it came flat you need to roll it into a curve so it will wrap around the generator body, the hole should line up with the matching hole in the cradle of the engine block.

How much end play does your armature have?, a small amount is normal and nothing to worry about.

keep us posted

mike

1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Mike, thanks for the reply. I guess I am lucky that nothing has happened to the generator or the case. I have owned this bike for 15 years and it has never had shims or the support strap. When I bought it it did not have either of those things and I just never thought about it until I removed the generator last summer because it stopped charging. It was loaded with oil. I disassembled the generator and cleaned and adjusted it and it seems to be working properly. This is when I decided to put it back together the right way. I have purchased the parts to rebuild the generator along with a strap and shim kit. I will check the end play once I get to that point. I have Palmers book and a service manual and the folks on this forum, so I think I should be OK. Because these parts have always been missing, should I be looking for some damage?

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Ya ain't doin brain surgery or splittin atoms here. Pay attention to details, take advantage of yer resources, and ya should be alright rebuildin and settin this thing up. This is 80+ year old technology we're talkin. Check, double check, and recheck yer work, and you should be O.K....bosheff

jarhead

Post by jarhead » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:01 am

1955fle wrote:I have a stock, mostly original "55 FL. The generator has only ever been mounted with just the two mounting screws. I now have a mounting strap and mounting kit with the square plate with the hole in it. What I need to know is what is the small plate for? How does it mount? And how concerned should I be with the end play of the generator. Thanks in advance for the help. -Carl
Can you post a picture of this setup? My generator is only mounted with just the two screws. Should i be concerned? Anyone?...

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:56 am

jarhead,
What year is your bike? '58 and later only use two 5/16 screws, the strap and plate set-up is on 3-brush types and early radio types, not on 2 brush styles.
Robbie

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:52 am

end play or lash? two different things

book calls out for .002/.004 lash
if you can FEEL this, you have plenty of gear lash

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:39 pm

The shims are important as they are what keep things properly aligned and your gears from meshing too tight. With fresh gears the clearance is very important, actually critical. However after many years of wear the gear mesh becomes sloppier and the shims almost become unnecessary which is why you see a lot of people just running with just the 2 bolts and no strap or shims. The problem at that point is if you add the strap and no shims you risk pulling things out of alignment. If you install the strap you need the shims. If you are going to rebuild the gen. and install new gears the alignment and mesh clearance again become critical and you'll need to shim it properly weather you run the strap or not. These old Pans are pretty forgiving when things are old & worn but once you start putting in new parts and tightening things up those tolerances need to be followed. With a Panhead I've always found that a bit loose is safer than too tight.

jarhead

Post by jarhead » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 am

RUBONE wrote:jarhead,
What year is your bike? '58 and later only use two 5/16 screws, the strap and plate set-up is on 3-brush types and early radio types, not on 2 brush styles.
Robbie
Ok Robbie thanks. I have a 62. Sorry for the late reply :oops:...

Return to “Electrical”