Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Passing light indicator lamp

Post by 64duo » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:17 pm

I have not been able to find the correct part number & identify the correct color lens that would fit into this hole on the right side of my headlight housing.
passingindicator.jpg
I assume it would be the indicator lamp for the passing lights? Any leads from those in the know? Also anyone seen this for sale? I bought a NOS 68558-64 pilot lamp, but that must be for something else, as that is much bigger than the hole in the housing. Anyone want to trade? Buy the way this bike only has the 1 housing mounted switch, nothing on the left hand side. Thanks.
Jonathan - 64FLH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Re: Passing light indicator lamp

Post by Cotten » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:46 am

This is a very good question.
Unfortunately, there are very few accepted answers.

You can compare bikes from '60 through '65 (and beyond) and only come to the conclusion that few conform.
A major contributing factor seems to be that dealerships were often the final assemblers. And individuals found it an easy Sunday project to add something as well.

I do not believe you will find a toggle switch for the shrouds anywhere in the Parts Books. (Only for earlier spotlamps. Please let us know if I missed any!)
My "opinion" is that the basic shroud design only had one hole on each side, with a single indicator light (red and/ or green) on each. (Yet Jonathan's has none on the left!)
Other holes were probably post-Factory creativity.
I am not aware of any decent repop sockets and lenses either. Those who have extra red or green lenses (NO bezel!) guard them jealously for good reason.
I anxiously await any literature that anyone can offer!

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:15 am

I agree with Cotten, I don't think I've ever seen one with two holes on the same side. If the bike, or just the shroud itself, ever saw police service the hole was probably drilled for some extra accessory. I've seen them with headphone jacks installed there.
Try Radio Shack, they have a good selection of pilot lamps in various colors and sizes. A working light with a nice bezel would look better than the hole even if it wasn't original.

good luck

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:16 am

I don't think I've ever seen one with two holes on the same side.
In the 58-68 d-glide parts book, I see a listing in the Spotlamps and pursuit lamps section item #24: (Toggle Switch 68686-36). I suppose that is the toggle in my photo above, but what indicator then was used to show the lamps "on", if not a lamp as I thought was used?
The suggestion from Cotton make good sense that the dealers did what the dealers disired, but without recommendations from the factory seems odd to me.

Jonathan -64FLH

ultrapan
Bikes: '64 FL,'42E,'03 Ultra Classic,

Post by ultrapan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:11 am

My 64 has a green on each side and one red on the right. One spotlamp should have a switch on the lamp that controls both lamps. the switch on the shroud is not correct.
I lost a green lense and was able to get a replacement from a shop in Ohio acouple of years ago. I'm in Oregon and the local dealer seems to know where to find the vintage stuff , he gave me the Ohio shops number I can try to find it if you'd like I think I have a source for the lamp socket also But I'll have to check it out at work tommorow

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:49 am

'Ultapan wrote:
I'm in Oregon and the local dealer seems to know where to find the vintage stuff , he gave me the Ohio shops number I can try to find it if you'd like I think I have a source for the lamp socket also But I'll have to check it out at work tommorow'
Ultapan, ping me off line. I would appreciate any help or leads. iamjm@yahoo.com
Jonathan 64FLH

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:06 am

Gleaned this from another venue, its a 1970 bike, but may serve up some ideas.

Jonathan 64FLH

Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:36 am

That's off a Police model.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:08 pm

Here's a test of my index finger:

The lenses have been turned opaque by the sun, but fresh ones are transparent with vertical internal facets.
To the best of my knowledge, these are not reproduced.
The sockets I find in electronic supply's seem to have fancy bezels.
And I could never figure out which sides the different colours were to be installed, or which was for "brights" , or turnsignals, or what?
Rarely have I ever encountered two bikes that were the same. I found a set of nacelles in my stash with NO holes! But I'm certain it was '80s vintage. (But it solves the indicator problem temporarily for one of my '65s!)

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:29 pm

This item I acquired, described as a pilot lamp must have multiple purposes. However, it requires a hole of at least 5/8".

My need is a smaller 1/2" lamp. Jonathan -64FLH

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:45 am

It sure looks like the gem you want to me.
Delightful.

DanM
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by DanM » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:05 am

I have one new red lens and it does have the same characteristics as the green one in the pic.

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:40 am

Fuzzy -

My 76 FLH is a civilian model, that I purchased new. I saw it still in the crate, at the dealer's. It had, and has the flasher and spot switch holes, just like the picture that 64FLH posted. However, there are no holes on the left side. Just switches only, on the right.

Jack

NOSnut

Post by NOSnut » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:05 pm

Nothing like opening a HD sealed pack, with your New - never used goodies. I love it!! ;D

It's like Christmas time!

My nacelle has one right side hole w/orange light.
May be faded red ??

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:35 pm

This is gleamed from elsewhere but gives a good view of another housing on a 1966 Police bike.

Return to “Electrical”