Cycle Electric generator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
StueyC
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Cycle Electric generator

Post by StueyC » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:21 pm

G'day, I have a Cycle Electirc DGV500 generator and regulator fitted to a 60FL. Can anyone tell me which terminal is which on the regulator? I went to the web site and it says the terminals are marked L & B but there doesn't appear to be any marks on this regulator- the paint might be too thick.

Thanks.

StueyC

Ohio-Rider

Re: Cycle Electric generator

Post by Ohio-Rider » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:39 pm

StueyC, Is your regualtor internal type and part of the generator or is it a seperate part?

Cyles internal regualators are fairly clearly marked as such next to each post.
The post marked -L- goes to the idot light on the dash.
The post marked -B- goes to the battery.

StueyC

Post by StueyC » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi Ohio-Rider, the regulator appears to be a complete unit. It is mounted on the end but the entire generator/regulator is Cycle Electric replacement. It came with the bike and there sure doesn't seem the be any marks near or around the terminals. I did mark what was left of the harness and one wire went to the ignition switch and the other to the battery but I didn't mark which went to which terminal so I can only blame myself for my problem. The bike is a custom and has no dash or idiot light. It had when I got it only a stop light and headlight.

The regulator has one top terminal and one towards the back of the regulator close to the cases. It would be good if the manufacturer had a wiring diagram on there site.

Thanks for the help anyhow.

StueyC

RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:19 am

From the instruction book which comes with the DGV-5000:
" WIRING- the DGV-5000 Series have two terminals marked "B" and "L". The "B" terminal is regulated power and can be connected directly to your battery or headlight switch (use 14 gauge wire). If a battery is used we recommend a 20 amp fuse or breaker between battery and generator. The "L" terminal is for your generator light. If you do not have a generator light, do not use this terminal."
This is how mine is wired, the "B" terminal is the one VERY close to the engine case (at 2 o'clock as you look at the generator end) and runs to my battery, the "L" terminal is the more "forward" one (at 1 o'clock). On mine, it has no wire connected since I have no dash light. The L and B markings are very faint, outboard from the terminal.

StueyC

Post by StueyC » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:04 am

That's exactly the info' I needed RussW. Thanks for your help.

StueyC

Return to “Electrical”