12volt pan overcharging battery,again!!

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
62pan-nut
Bikes: 62 pan, 81flhs

12volt pan overcharging battery,again!!

Post by 62pan-nut » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Guys, I'm new here and am looking for input. I have a 62 fl that I converted to 12 v generator and cycle electric reg. I have gone thru a couple of batteries. Running the 7 amp small battery. I found it charges up to 15 volts and am cooking batteries. Sent reg back and was checked ok both times. I changed armature and charged @ 14 v and was fine. Now 150 miles later is back to 15+ volts. I do not have the low voltage regulator but cycle electric told me this is the problem. I don't mind buying the new reg but do I need a gen to insure prob cured? This problem has been ongoing for 2 years. Anybody have similar problem?

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: 12volt pan overcharging battery,again!!

Post by NightShift » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Dear 62pan-nut,
So you mean a 12 volt system then huh?
and you run a little 12n-5.5a-3b battery?
Since putting out enough juice doesnt seem to be the problem, throwing money at another generator aint a good idea.
If you are boiling batteries the low voltage thing is the easiest thing you can do.

The batteries dont get so hot then, but you gotta ask yourself just why your oiltank is so hot anyway. Because lots of folks get away with any old regulator and airconditioner water.

Hope this helps,

steinauge
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 pm

I recently bought one of those little AGM scooter batteries at Wally for I think 35 dollars(5.5 amp). Been in the 49 for about 2 months now.WHAT a difference! Hasnt burned up,doesnt need water.Very different from the 12N5.5s.I am using a 65A generator and a Bosch regulator.Might be worth a try.Tother thing is you can use two of those,one on top of the other if you just want more capacity.

ozwick86
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:21 am

Take Cycle Electric's advice and get the Low Output Regulator they sell.

62pan-nut

Post by 62pan-nut » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 pm

I already have been using the 7amp agm batteries. Cycle electric checked the reg and told me the generator was the problem causing the overcharge. The shop I took the gen to check told me nothing wrong with generator. although not sure if they really tested unit. So... not sure where to throw money next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:13 pm

is your field wire to the generator grounded by any chance?

that would cause full output by the generator.

john

biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:54 am

62pan-nut wrote:I already have been using the 7amp agm batteries. Cycle electric checked the reg and told me the generator was the problem causing the overcharge. The shop I took the gen to check told me nothing wrong with generator. although not sure if they really tested unit. So... not sure where to throw money next.
You've already had your answer three times already. Cycle Electric makes 2 types of generators. High voltage output and a Low voltage output. You need to use the LOW voltage model.

I've been running a $14 5amp hour 12volt sealed gel battery the size of 3 cigarette packs stacked on each other for 3 seasons. All I run are lights. Not only has the battery lasted, but it has not burnt up or had any adverse affects. In fact, I bought 3 of them and carry an extra in my saddle bag. All 3 are still in good shape and will generate enough spark to kick my pan over reliably all season long.

You need to use the Cycle Electric LOW voltage regulator generator. That will prevent you from burning up your battery. But, I would also suggest you get away from lead/acid batteries....they seem to me to be too small and don't last nearly as long as the newer technologies...in my humble opinion.

62pan-nut

Post by 62pan-nut » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks for the advise. I will try the low voltage regulator and a new battery, gel type if I can find one around here.

mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

Post by mr. z » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:50 pm

62 pan nut, I remember you even posting this question on the Balk talk forum a while back, and tried to help you there. 2 things you need to do;

1)Get rid of the regulater you have, and get Cycle Electric low-voltage regulator Part#CE-500L. Be sure it is the one with this part #.

2)If you are still using those Great Plains batteries, after you replace regulator, forget AGM batts for a while and use the small, dry-charged Yuasa 5.5 battery, make sure it is fully loaded with the proper electrolite, has a full charge, and start riding, when you come back for a ride, check your readings with a good meter and just keep and eye on the situation, if everything is well,(after a good few hundred miles) then find yourself a good AGM battery, but I don't recommend the Vietnam made Great Plains batteries, you should stop using those, they are not up to any abuse if something goes wrong.

Hog54
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:27 pm

I have had two cycle electric regulators on my generator and they dont last very long.And the one problem with that regulator is there isnt a part number on the regulator itself,only the box.The only problem I ever had with my bike since I built it 15 years ago was these regulators.

ozwick86
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:25 pm

I have the Cycle Electric Low output end mount on my bike now for about 4 years now with no problems. Stay away from batteries made in China, Vietnam etc. Buy a Yuasa which are made in Japan and now in the USA. I run the YTZ14S sealed and you can mount it on end. You can get them for about $ 130.00. You pay a more but you will not have any problems.

biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Hog54 wrote:I have had two cycle electric regulators on my generator and they dont last very long.And the one problem with that regulator is there isnt a part number on the regulator itself,only the box.The only problem I ever had with my bike since I built it 15 years ago was these regulators.
I have two Cycle Electric generators with low voltage regulators and they've been working just fine for going on 12 years now. They have never over-charged a decent battery (cheap batteries made in China and Vietnam will not work), they have never needed polarization, and they simply keep working reliably even when other components on the charging system go bad. Your comment eludes to an understanding that you put Cycle Electric regulators on a NON-Cycle Electric generator. I don't have any experience with that, but if that's the case, clearly you should buy the generator and regulator as a pair.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:36 pm

First let me clarify a few things.

CE makes both conventional generators, conventional SS regulators, and also hybrid generators with end-mount SS regulators.

Low-voltage regulators, and their end-mount assembly with a low-voltage regulator, are for applications with a battery within an oil tank only.
The conventional SS low voltage regulator for a 12v generator (OEM or CE) is the CE-102L.
The CE-500L is a replacement for the endmount hybrid generator only.
The CE-540L is an endmount regulator for conventional generators

Systems with separate regulators should be polarized whenever a connection has been broken.

The only CE regulator failure that I have encountered was one where the potting compound melted out of it while sitting, with no battery connected!

The 12n-5.5A-3b batteries work fine, but should be replaced annually.
They are cheap enough.

And last but not least,
The endmount assemblies are ugly, but they protect the armature against riders who insist upon running a battery beyond its natural lifetime.

....Cotten

62pan-nut

Post by 62pan-nut » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Mr Z, Yes that was me. I did not know that about Great Plains batteries.Almost got a whole season out of the last battery. I will correct that. Also will get the low voltage reg to fit my stock hd generator. Thanks for every ones help.

Return to “Electrical”