Generator Rebuild

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Generator Rebuild

Post by 58flh » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Hey guys-- just wanted to share a little information with everyone, I have had no charging issues with my genny for 14yrs. now! I just purchased a new Bosch regulator about 6 yrs. ago thats it! HOW? Well I have a buddy who works for a Volkswagon dealer. Now the old beetles late 60s have gennys. Well it turns out they are the same almost-speaking armaturewise! the rest dont even come close. When I placed them side by side the VW was a little longer & 1/8 inch larger in diameter on the shaft. The length was a 1/4 inch if my memory is right. It looked better then the one in my 65a genny, the windings small & neat ,where the brushes ride it was the same dia.,also the rest was the same dia. With the braincells fryin & cold ones coming we came up with a game-plan! I chucked it up into the lathe & turned it down+faced it off to the proper dimentions! Cleaned her up real good & I had a new armature for my genny(65a). In it went along with new fieldcoils,brushes,bearings-the whole 9 complete! We tested it & it putout awesome in the charging dept. the voltage was a little to much-afterall Im just running a 7 inch halogen upfront, in the back just run/stoplight bulb.,So we tamed it down by setting the internals of the regulator to more suit my conditions.Well after 14yrs. she finally went :cry: I priced a new one -it cost as much as a new genny from cycle electrics! Im not saying nothing bad about them but I dont have $500.00+ for a new genny!--After all these yrs. I still had the old Arm. I ordered a kit from JP Cycles in Iowa for $56.99 1 week later it was delivered. After looking it over it had everything for a complete overhaul for a generator,Great-Deal! So I rebuilt her & reset the Bosch reg. to specs. And I am a very happy dude right now ,after being down for 2 weeks it sucked !Afterall its my main source of transport! I just wonder how long this one will last? Im gonna start savin for a new armature orig. H.D. well oem. I am running on the one that failed me so long ago anyway-i know its olny a matter of time! (Sorry for the long rap but just wanted to share my exp.,-58flh)

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: GEnerator Rebuild

Post by 1950Panhead » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:53 pm

What year did VW go to 12 volts?
I ordered 6 volt field coils from JP three years ago... About every six months they send an email saying they are still on backorder...

hplhd
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer

Post by hplhd » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:28 pm

vdub went to 12v in 66 or 67. cant remember. i had a 67 and it was 12v.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:35 pm

58flh wrote: I priced a new one -it cost as much as a new genny from cycle electrics! Im not saying nothing bad about them but I dont have $500.00+ for a new genny!--
58flh!

Suggested retail for Cycle Electric's standard Model 65a replacement is $263.66

You might want to try a different vendor.

And 1950Pan!

CE also makes 6v field coils for H-Ds, as well as complete generators.
If J&P was waiting for DIXIE imports, they may never arrive. (I keep getting a busy signal, but haven't given up hope.)

....Cotten

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Cotten!
At first it was annoying, now it is funny.
Now I wonder (a) how long this will go on (b) if they took my money or not.
You and Parham must be patient men, life goes on.
Jerry

james
Bikes: 2003 FLHRCI
1952 FL

Post by james » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:03 pm

VW went to 12 volt in 67.

Jim

58flh

Post by 58flh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 pm

I thank-you for the info cotton!--When I checked the website for cycle electrics ,I got a 65a genny ready to roll-believe the # was dvm5000 (dont Quote me on that!) & it was a $500.00 pricetag on its head! The $265.00 price that you mentioned was that a Biz special pricing?-----& I spoke to my buddy who works for VW,& he remembers the genny we hacked apart was out of a 1967! to answer somebody elses ? I apolagize ,very bad with names & without my cheaters on I have to keep this keyboard 3feet from my face just to see it! Anyway, me & wifey went out for a nice haul -south on the pky. to shorelimits,hit a few diff. watering holes we know of & gained about 10lbs. on MIDDWAY Cheesesteaks! Total milage on the OD. was 163 miles,& the bike ran like it always did before my genny mishap,Yes I am a happy man! Thanks to all on this site,byfar the best ive been on ever! 58flh :mrgreen:

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 pm

58flh!

That's full retail price from my 2011 CE catalog.

Once again, that is the standard generator, so exact that they are made on the original OEM machinery;
add sixty bucks or so for the ugly endmount regulator version.

The last time I needed a VW generator it was a decade ago, for a Chief.
Only the Car Quest chain could order a rebuild that was just as expensive as a new CE, and it was a double-ended minibus model, and dead on arrival at that.
No other replacements were available, just a refund.
It was about that time that I sent CE a Chief armature, and they soon produced their conversion generators for those models.

....Cotten

58flh

Post by 58flh » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Hey Cotton thanks for the info bro! Im definetly going to look into this when the time comes & $$$ alows! The $265.00 pricetag is well worth it/also they are machined on original tooling equip! That is tasty to my standards. Also I read on thier site all gennys are ready to roll! preset at the factory---just let them know your set-up!,Not bad. Again many thanks/ also probably by summers-end ,I have a Linkert model M74B,I have the rebuild kit for it-a friend of mine works for a H.D. dealer in north Jersey/he said they never get requests for this stuff anymore, so he could not order just 1! I now have 10 gasket, fuelline-prebent made from steel & all the gizmos that come with the kits!All for (FREE). Thats how we do for eachother/they get an old bike & call me & I help them ALWAYS. Besides Im a firm believer in that (1 hand takes care of the other). Any way I have heard alot about your nice floats you are producing,&Im interested-I will have to show you a Pic. of the 4-bolt-on end, it definetly needs to be straightened! has a curve to it/like sobody just kept on tightening them up!-The rest of the carb is in excellent shape/adj. screws are a very precise click-click etc. shaft seems to be nice but a little much plat/side to side for my taste/& the olny other thing somebody chromed the bowl/thats-it. We will have talk more so i can tell you what cam & other goodies Im running so we could determine a good starting point. (Thank-You again 58flh) Hope yours is up & running-where I live we have great early-morning & sundown weather for haulin ass! Anyway you will be hearing from me! Good-Luck always!!

Return to “Electrical”