Repolarizing

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Misfit
Bikes: 1974 Ironhead, 2001 Fatboy, 2003 BD Chopper

Repolarizing

Post by Misfit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:34 pm

I am needing to re polarize my bike. I know that you go from the Positive battery post to the A post on the generator. This is easy when the generator is marked. I have no markings at all on the generator and only one terminal on my regulator is marked. That is marked BAT. I have researched this on this forum to no avail. I have read all the posts and how to identify posts but I cant see which post has a wire attached to the brushes. I am very new to this and don't wish to mess up my bike. My regulator has three terminals. The one marked BAT and another on that side that is unmarked. The other is on the opposite end of the regulator and there is a wire attached to this one that runs straight to the generator. I will try to post pics if I can. I looked at the wiring diagram on the site under electrical for a 1949 Pan but it doesnt specify which is the A and F side of the generator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Misfit

Re: Repolarizing

Post by Misfit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Ok. I cant figure out why the picture is so large. This is the regulator with the cap off. On the left is the wire that runs directly to the post on the generator. it runs to the underside of the regulator. The others on the right side of tis picture (which I can't get to show here) are the battery and a terminal that runs to a point and the top of the coil on the regulator. Any ideas of which would be the A and F post?

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:45 pm

If you click on the picture it is shown completely. Here is a smaller version of your picture:
DSC_0455_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Looks like you have a three brush generator which uses a cutout relay, not a regulator. Your picture is of a cutout relay. There is no procedure that I have found for polarizing a three brush. I have had my generator off several times, including having it rebuilt and it has always worked without polarizing.

Misfit

Post by Misfit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:04 pm

That would be why i can't find a bit of information on this. Looking for the right thing is a step in the right direction. I am completely new with this. My bikes have been pretty modern til now. It's amazing the differences I have come across in such a short time. Thanks a bunch

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:44 pm

if you push the relay closed with your finger it will polarize it. you will be connecting the battery to the armature.

just make sure it opens when you let go with your finger, otherwise if it stays closed it will drain your battery.

john

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:23 am

If you want to polarize it without taking the cover off of the relay, you use the BAT terminal, and the terminal on the other end of the relay(the one that is by itself, on the end of the relay toward the generator.

Alternately, you can just run a jumper from the battery positive terminal, and flash it to the generator terminal that is wired to the relay.

And the actual answer to your question of how to identify the correct terminal on the relay, or on the generator, is that it is the terminal on the generator that is wired to the relay, and the terminal on the relay that is wired to the generator.

Return to “Electrical”