Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Foot clutch adjustment

JimG
Bikes: Harley

Foot clutch adjustment

Post by JimG » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:14 am

I need some advise on my 59 FL foot clutch. This is my frist experience with a foot clutch. The way it is now it always returns to engaged whe you take your foot off the pedal. I thought it was supposed to stay in the position it was in when you took your foot off. I don't know if this is the correct pedal for a 59 FL or if it has been changed. Also it looks like an half inch extention tab my have been welded onthe forward end of the pedal. Is there a way to adjust the pedal to stay unengaged when the pedeal is left in that position? Do you think the spring is weak and might need to be replaced.
Thanks
Here are some photos:

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Foot clutch adjustment

Post by RUBONE » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:24 am

The extension tab was added to prevent the pedal from going too low. It is fine with it. When the pedal is all the way down (engaged) make sure that there isa some free play in the rod so that the clutch springs are not working against it.
The nut and spider washer on the back are adjustable to create more friction on the pedal. There is a friction washer under the chrome cover! Adjust the nut so that the pedal will stay in any position but just barely beyond the spring tension. The pedal should stay up but be able to move smoothly into engagement. To lock the adjustment once done thew tab washer needs to be folded up against the nut. It is all very simple and you will be fine adjusting it, just take your time. Just don't make it too stiff. And don't depend on it staying disengaged for long periods, vibration can move it, get used to shifting into neutral coming up on stops. And be aware that people will tell you it is supposed to be like it is now. That is not how it was designed by H-D. It was designed to stay disengaged. And the spring is fine, they basically never wear out!
Robbie

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 am

yep, the tension on the nut applied to the big star-spring shoud be just enough so that the pedal will stay where you put it. (neutral position if that makes sense)

Robbie is correct, it should neither spring forward or back. But, vibration will usually cause it to ease forward and engage the clutch, so don't trust it, keep your toe on the rear side of the pedal until you are ready to take off.

good luck!

mike

JimG

Post by JimG » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 am

Robby and Mike,Thanks for the good advise, I really appreciate it. I'll try adjusting it tomorrow.

flatboy1950
Bikes: 1948 Pan 61
1942 sv 74 x 4
1948 sv 74 x 1
1943 42U + sidecar with 6800 miles on the clock from new.

Post by flatboy1950 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:31 am

The spider spring & large washer with the two flats (in the hole) has been incorrectly assembled.
The dished spring goes on first , then the large washer , then the nut & its' lockwasher.
The shaft has two flats milled on it & if you put the washer on first , it will simply sit on the shoulder where the flats end
and no pressure can be put on the inboard friction disc !!!

Cheers , Flatboy.

JimG

Post by JimG » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:51 pm

flatboy1950 wrote:The spider spring & large washer with the two flats (in the hole) has been incorrectly assembled.
The dished spring goes on first , then the large washer , then the nut & its' lockwasher.
The shaft has two flats milled on it & if you put the washer on first , it will simply sit on the shoulder where the flats end
and no pressure can be put on the inboard friction disc !!!

Cheers , Flatboy.
Bingo! It's working perfect now.
Thanks

Return to “Clutch”