clutch and shifting

tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

clutch and shifting

Post by tschukojr » Mon May 14, 2012 12:04 am

i just got my 50 fl up and running , and just got a few problems the oil filter leak that i have been coached on, but a clutch shifting problem , first i have read all through the knowledge base, and so it did'nt like find nuetral going up from first at all ,and generally shifted hard, but i does shift, ( good enuff to ride 120 miles ) mostly it did'nt like comming down from 4 to 3,, so after reading everything in the KB i started it and put it in gear and pulled the clutch in and its free enuff to push back and forth and i hear the steel plates rattling, i just started backing off on the pressure plate nuts , and kicking checking for slipping , so now its out to 1-1/8 from 31/32 and only a few threads left , so now it really likes to go into nueutral, and shifts better on a very short test ride , still a little drag on going to 3 from 4, so now i'am on the right track it seems, i don't know what the clutch is, other than 4 steel 5 fiber, ( looks like replica harley stuff ) seems like long or longer springs than i rember from before, painted blue, its just what was in there--------BUT in the KB it was stated that with the bike running in nuetral and clutch dis-engaged you should be able to stop the pressure plate and related inner clutch hub stuff from spinning while running with your hand, i hope no one trys this , i did'nt, but with my work boot--no way at all , a 2x4 pressed up carefully to the pres. plate, no way, now i'am gonna take a steel and a fiber out just as soon as i can, but is this what i should be striving for--- i mean really how many clutche's out there are that freed up that can actually stay still on the mainshft with the bike running in nuertal, and clutch dis-engaged----they're kidding right-- it would appear its supposed to , but how many do-----------i had written this out better the first time but windows stopped workin and i lost it---------so any way just love that knowlede base, ---thanks again --------tony schuko

1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Re: clutch and shifting

Post by 1962FLH » Mon May 14, 2012 1:08 am

I would take the clutch plates and clean with varsol. then try again to test ride.

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead » Mon May 14, 2012 12:26 pm

You can also clean friction plates with 220 wet/dry under water.
Original plates are asbestos, don't breath any dust.
Jerry

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 pm

BOTH guys hit it on the head!---ALSO clean the basket to the eat off it stage!,& LIGHTLY check each steel-disc for smooth movement!, I have found that even NEW ones need to be hit with a file so no interference is present!--DO same for fiberdiscs!,Clean them good with a scotchbrite-pad-a quick going over is good!. Check for wobble!!, make sure nothing is warped!-Particularly the STEELS!. IF all checks ok -lightly GREASE the hubs channels that the steels ride-in!--I also check for discs hanging-up on the 3 ADJ.,IF any resistence is felt,-DRILL them a 1/64 larger & this will cure that problem!--Also alot of guys use a TAMER!--I cannot attest to this as in 24+yrs. I never used one. BUT I hear lots of good FEEDBACK on the product!---ALSO I heard you mention taking a steel & fiber out of the whole clutch set-up!---THIS should be for another post ,but last month I put a new clutch in ,one of those kevlar-disc jobs they make. AND it worked flawless! ,1-problem was I had to drill discs oversize, but today thats pretty much almost a standard practice! & MY pull was harder then my recent clutch!--NOW I have installed a few with a plate short for some people & they run everyday no problem!--I do not have a BOOSTER, SO I yanked 1 out on mine,& after playing with the ADJ.--I LOVE IT!!--LITERLY can squeeze clutch with 2-FINGERS!--NO KICKER-SLIPPAGE or steep hill with gear & the WIFE ALSO no slippage!--FIRST -TIME for my pan LIKE THIS!& NO complaints.------RICHIE-----THE clutch I installed was called (ENERGY-ONE, Heavy-Duty police Special)-From JP-cycles $71.00---GOOD-LUCK 8) 8)

tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

Post by tschukojr » Mon May 14, 2012 4:02 pm

thanks for the replies, , it was all cleaned up good before re-assembly, and i did check the steels for warps, but , i did'nt sand the fibers,, also maybe i rember having some drag on the fibers when i installed, i'll enlarge them slightly,,i will be doing it later today tonite, and a few other things , cause its supposed to start raining here---- again thanks--------tony

Return to “Clutch”