Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Primary chain: a jerk/lunging feeling

Post by Skip » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Got a problem and wondering if I'm going in the right direction...going down the road in 2nd or 3rd gear and wind it up a little and I get a jerk/lunging feeling...when I kind of bog it down, but not to the point that I need to down shift I get the same jerk/lunging feeling...now when in 4th and cruising everything seems fine...not always there either...could it be a worn out primary chain...seems it does have a minor tight spot...nothing abnormal I don't think...any other ideas...clutches???Thanks...Skip

fourthgear

Re: Primary chain: a jerk/lunging feeling

Post by fourthgear » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:06 pm

skip
Do you mean that the motor bogs down when this happens and this happens only when you open it up? Is it only in one spot in the throttling range ? Your clutch would most likely slip when powering up ,not bog it down and your primary chain would give you problems shifting if to tight and make a lot of noise if loose. Not to say something is not going on there but, I would look at a fuel or ign. problem , maybe a loose wire , ya never know. I had a loose condenser wire once and it gave me fits until I noticed it and it would almost die going on the throttle some times.

Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:03 pm

motor not dying, not in the motor...more like in the drive train somewhere...almost a vibration like thing happening...a jerking sensation...like when you need to down shift...but when going high rpms, in lets say, 3rd gear...I thought of the fuel not being all burnt up...but do not know if that would cause this...curiouser and curiouser...skip

hillbillybike

Post by hillbillybike » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:21 pm

just wondering if you got this problem fixed.i am having what sounds lke the same problem

jellero
Ex-member

Post by jellero » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:54 am

I thought of the fuel not being all burnt up
you said it was the drive line though?? sounded like it's running too rich to me when i read it but hard to figure out here. harleys run tend to run rich. it has been more of a stumbling with my bike and black plugs. what do plugs look like, just to take a short cut? j

Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:40 pm

Hillybillybike: No I haven't...I replaced the chains and still the same...now, after several sloooooooow trips around the block...I believe I know where the problem lies... I find that I seem to have a dead spot in my throttle cable or carb...same spot in all gears...most noticeably in 3rd and 4th as they are the crusiing gears...just with the gas feed twisted a bit(say as you were cruising about 45 in 4th) it's there...like it is getting shut off then back on in a split second...will put the linkert back on this winter and see if that doesn't cure it...hope you find yours...Skip

jellero
Ex-member

Post by jellero » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:21 pm

skip, i just had a similar problem with mine after having the carb off. there is a small cotterpin in the clevis on top of throttle on carb, where the cable attaches. the cotter pin was hanging up on the bolt head that holds the tanks together. i had to bend the cable a bit to make it clear. j

Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Jellero: thanks man...I'll check that out...knew it should be something simple...ran fine then bang...missing...thanks again...Skip

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”