tranny leak

Dirk Diggler
Bikes: 1964 FLH Panhead 77,79,82 shovel, 00 twinkie

tranny leak

Post by Dirk Diggler » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Hello i dont know if i have properly introduced myself yet. my name is Billy P i live in southern indiana i have been a member for several months now. i have several shovels and a twinkie and now a pan after researching the fourm here the knowledge base here is amazing!!! my question is about my 64 pan i bought at the davenport swap meet . swap meet special.( i was like a kid in a candy store there) LOL when you but a pan you have to take it a part right? to see what it looks like on the inside if you dont how would you ever know??? any way i have a tranny leak it does not leak bad when riding even when out riding and park for a while but when i park it in my garage you will have a small leak the next day and it gets bigger everyday and will not stop ever!!! so i thought i need to pull it well when i removed the inner the shaft is tight but the seal dosent look right and that the small shaft is missing? i think ??? anyway i going to try to post pic's. a pic is a thousand words right? any input would be greatly apperciated. i also have othe questions about some ID numbers but i will post on another topic. thanks
tranny seal.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hog54
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Re: tranny leak

Post by Hog54 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 pm

That mainshaft looks kind of worn and boogered up.You will never get it to stop leaking with new seals or anything if the mainshaft or the maindrive gear arent perfect.

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 pm

My wife found her sheet cookie pan, she doesn't want it back :evil:

Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Huck wrote:My wife found her sheet cookie pan, she doesn't want it back :evil:
Hell thats a non stick coated pan now !

DIRK ,, its in your best intrest to dissassemble that trans to see what shape things are in . to many variables sorry

I see your in s. ind., only bout 4 hrs from me , Id be glad to look it over if you want ... your call

blewcrab
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 pm

Dirk, check out U-tube video " Harley 4 speed transmission leak " its a 2 part video that explains why the main shaft leaks and how to fix it,,,the second video shows the installation of the O ring fix..

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 am

Dirk, your drive sprocket is looking pretty well worn. How does the rear sprocket look?

amiabledave
Bikes: 1957 Panhead, First HD was a 1969 Sporster w/factory mag,

Post by amiabledave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 am

Referring to the first photo, was there a main drive gear spacer key? It looks like the main seal is riding over the space where the key fits into. This seal has to be beyond this groove otherwise it'll cut the seal and leak. Many people also install a super nut.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:54 am

Also, there was no seal in the end of the main drive gear untill 65, I personally try not to over fill my tranny..Mike

Dirk Diggler
Bikes: 1964 FLH Panhead 77,79,82 shovel, 00 twinkie

Post by Dirk Diggler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 pm

@ old wrench when i go in this far i replace every thing that has any wear i.e.sprockets,chain seals.@amiabledave yes where the the key slot riding under the was the first thing i noticed i removed the key to get a good pic ot me it looks like the collar is too short or the seal is not back far enough but i think the seal is right it's even with the case? shaft's look good and tight pic's make it look bad i should wiped them off before the pic
@mike yeah i've been told not to over fill tranny or it will leak.lol (and a lot of folk's tell me they are just gonna leak!!) :evil:

amiabledave

Post by amiabledave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:09 pm

The collar is most likely good if not grooved by the seal. Even if the collar is grooved slightly, you can press the new seal passed the groove. If what you say is correct, install a new seal. James makes a great double lip seal. There is some wiggle room, just press the seal far enough to avoid the key groove. Add a super nut if you like. I add oil all the way to the bottom of the threads on the trans, where thefill cap screws in and doesn't leak. Good luck & let us know how you make out.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Sorry to be a wet blanket again, Folks,

But a "supernut" will not fit with a stock Pan clutch hub, and often needs to be shaved to be installable even with later hubs.
It only "works" with a -65 maindrivegear, with the original seal removed.

If at all.
Often the hub will bottom out upon the 'supernut', and not the taper.
(Loctite would fix that?, yeh right.)

Slop of the mainshaft within its bushing, added to necessary slop in the rollers, add up to a short lifetime.
Pre-stressed fitting of a fresh maindrivegear bushing to the mainshaft is critical to any sanitary service at all.

Sorry, honest,

....Cotten

amiabledave

Post by amiabledave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Sorry to be a wet blanket again, Folks, "as per Cotten"

But I have installed 4 Super Nuts on bikes prior to 65 with a 100% success rate. One is on my 60. Never had to modify, cut, shave, etc. the nut. What you have to do is use a socket on the nut and not a chisel. As some people have used to tightened and loosened a stock nut.

The nut is about $25. Less in some places.It will not bust the bank if it doesn't work. But I Believe it will....Let us know how you made out ...

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:52 am

amiabledave wrote:Sorry to be a wet blanket again, Folks, "as per Cotten"

But I have installed 4 Super Nuts on bikes prior to 65 with a 100% success rate. One is on my 60. Never had to modify, cut, shave, etc. the nut. What you have to do is use a socket on the nut and not a chisel. As some people have used to tightened and loosened a stock nut.

The nut is about $25. Less in some places.It will not bust the bank if it doesn't work. But I Believe it will....Let us know how you made out ...
uh, Dave,

You don't know me well enough to accuse me of using a chisel on a sprocket nut.

Two solid objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

The boss on pre-'65 hubs is a problem for a fat nut,
hub 2.jpg
just as a pre-'65 maindrive gear will not allow the seal lip of the ordinary catalog "supernut".
Even a '65 and later gear requires that its seal be removed.

If you have sourced a sealed nut that fits with either or both pre-'65 pieces of hardware, please let us know specifically.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hog54
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 am

I have the supernut on my 54 with stock clutch hub and stock length shaft.Never had an issue putting one on.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:34 am

they must have changed the design. and even then you still need to goober the back of the sprocket.

i could not get the nut to work on all oem parts. (no chisel either!)

john

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”