1946 WL gearbox problem

Hans

1946 WL gearbox problem

Post by Hans » Wed May 12, 2004 5:56 am

Hi

Well, I have some problems with my Flathead 46WL gearbox, hope you can help me.
The gearbox is totally restored with new "NOS" parts inside.

The problem is :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I shift from 2nd gear to 3th gear, it gives a high "klunk" from the gearbox. Shifting between the other gears is working total perfect. Also when I shift from neutral to 1st gear there is no problem at all. It only when I shift from 2nd to 3th gear I can hear this "klunk" noise from the gearbox.
After disassembling the gearbox ( again ) I found that the Clutch gear ( 2513-41 ) and the Shifter clutch, 2nd & high ( 2298-41 ) was worn.

What to do???????
Hope somebody can help me?

Some additional information :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bike is totally original restored. ( no special modifications, or custom builds). The gearbox is include "reverse gear" and it works also perfect.
I use a 31 tooth front engine sprocket. My clutch is working fine, and adjusted correct.
I have adjusted the gearbox correct in additional to the service manual etc.

HOPE SOMEBODY CAN HELP ME.

Hans

Billy

Re: 1946 WL gearbox problem

Post by Billy » Fri May 14, 2004 4:30 am

Hans, Sounds like you answered your own problem. Replace your worn parts. You can find the parts at http://www.jwboon.com
Also check your endplay at your clutch basket, & sprocket.

elky

Re: 1946 WL gearbox problem

Post by elky » Fri May 21, 2004 1:41 am

If the reverse was added it is usually different from the spacer it replaced and the end play will have to be corrected with a shim kit. also check the spacing on the forks. you will have to mske up some gages. see the TM

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”