Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
ziptienyc

8 or 11mm belt drive

Post by ziptienyc » Mon May 21, 2007 12:13 pm

Post by ziptienyc on May 3, 2005, 2:24pm

About to buy a 1 1/2" belt drive for my Panhead,
Does anyone have recommendations on getting the 8 or 11mm setup?
Brand preferences? Looking between the Primo and BDL setups...
Prices are around the same for all, would love to hear what people prefer.
Gonna be run open, so fitting in the tin primary covers isn't an issue.
thanks in advance!!!!

Post by caschnd1 on May 3, 2005, 3:05pm

Ziptie,

I run the 8mm Primo. My only complaint (and I don't think this is unique to Primo) is the noise I get from running the dry clutch. To get the best clutch release, I've switched to steel clutch plates that don't have the "buffers" installed. Great release but lots of noise when the clutch is disengaged. This is caused to a large extent by the aluminum clutch basket used by Primo (and BDL). I'm considering switching to a new belt drive system I saw while I was up in Laughlin at the River Run two weeks ago. This is a system that is made of some type of proprietary plastic compound (pullies only). It's supposed to be super quiet and it's claimed that the pullies will outlast aluminum (I don't know that from experience). I hate to toss my Primo belt drive (works great except for all the noise) and replace it with a new one, but I might break down and do it. SuperMax offers a variety of pully sizes too. They can give you primary drive ratios of 1.37:1, 1.40:1, 1.48:1, or 1.52:1. They are the only company I know of that offers a choice of different ratios. The SuperMax belt is also a 14mm pitch. Looks beefy, but I don't know the pros/cons of larger pitch. The SuperMax drive is around $590 so it's gonna cost you more, but since you can choose your primary drive ratio and if it's quiet, it might be work the extra $$. I talked to a guy there named Phil last week and he was real helpful answering my questions. http://www.supermax.net/catalog/pages/CAT_SEC_1-1-2.asp

-Craig

Post by ziptienyc on May 4, 2005, 1:13am

Craig,

Thanks much for your detailed response.
Checked out that site, looks interesting, but gonna go with the primo 11...
I don't mind the noise at all, and the price is right!

thanks,
john

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”