Mousetrap Eliminator proper setup/adjustment question....

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dilbio

Post by dilbio » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:02 pm

All:

Ive recently installed a mousetrap eliminator (bracket/clutch cable)setup on my '50 Panhead. Ive noticed that Im getting a banging and hard shift into 1st gear, which should be indicative of a clutch disengagement problem...

Im not quite sure if Im adjusting this eliminator properly. So, would anyone happen to know the proper adjustment for the clutch arm/clutch pushrod???? It appears that no matter what the adjustment on both the cable and clutch pushrod, Im putting a tad of pre-load on the the throwout bearing.

Any/all advice needed to get me going here????

Thanks much

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Did you install another clutch release lever? If I remember well you need a longer one.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:30 pm

I installed the clutch release arm included in Taiwain Tedd's mousetrap eliminator kit...

Is there another clutch release arm that works differently with this elimnator kit????

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:32 pm

I don't know, but you didn't mention the release lever.

(BTW, you can use your login now)

VT

Post by VT » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:11 pm

How far does the arm travel? Make sure your stock? type clutch press. plate is 31/32" (check cond. of springs too) away from the top edge of the release disc. Set you elimin. kit arm over your original arm (on the floor) and look for matching contours. Length of the release lever would be important. I think a correct arm pushes the push rod 1-1/4" out from the mainshaft. Not sure. It's on another lost post somewhere, but I think that's the travel distance.
Note: If you have to (rosebud) heat and bend your release lever to move it forward, do so at the base. A little bit of re-positioning at the base of the lever will create a greater distance at the end!
Last edited by VT on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:36 pm

I've got one of those eliminators on my 65 and the arm is shorter than the one on my mouse trap Pan, not longer (maybe mine is diff. ?). If I remember correctly you measure 5/8 of an inch from the shifter cover to the arm( closest two points, make sure the cable has slack in it ,I usually turn the adj. all the way in , like early Shovels with out the mouse trap. ). I always held it forward while adj. the clutch rod to get the measurement.Then you can adj. the lever to what ever you like the clutch to start engaging ,I think the measurement is 1/8-1/4". But my memory is not as good as it once was , I will have to figure it out too when I get the 65 together.

matco

Post by matco » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:07 pm

v twin sells two different eliminator kits. one with the long bracket and one with the short bracket and shorter release arm. if you used the kit with the shorter ( early shovel) arm everything should work together. maybe the push rod is worn and not pushing the pressure plate out evenly causing it to drag. i usually face them then add a chamfer on the edge. btw i prefer the kit with the longer bracket, they sell an eliminator arm for this separately or i have also cut a new slot for the cable as close to the bend in the arm as possible. remember the shorter the arm the more the pressure plate will release.

drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:10 am

I did not notice if you said your primary is chain or belt drive. If you have
a belt, and it is too tight (any) it will cause the outer shell to move outward
away from the transmission with the pressure plate. You may experience
"creep" in gear at a stop, and hard shifts all the time. If you don't have one, install a plate similar to the "Ramjet" on your studs, and if there is one there, make sure it is installed with close to .015" clearance. Also the rollers between the shell & hub should be checked. The popular update uses one long roller, and the taper on the ends (barrel shaped) after a while. This lets the outer shell cock slightly. To see if your clutch is dis-engaging, pull in the clutch and kick it thru (or push kicker by hand)

VT

Post by VT » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:00 pm

The popular update uses one long roller, and the taper on the ends (barrel shaped) after a while.
Is that the "Big Fixx" kit from V-Twin (VT 20-0229), with 52 long rollers to take the place of the OE off-set ones?
We have the Big Fixx and York Clutch assembly listed in Vol. 2, but that's a hub, bearings, discs, diaphram, spring, pressure plate and bolts.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:17 pm

I had the mousetrap eliminator on my 49, the release arm is replaced with a shorter one. A special cable holding bracket is attatched under the oil tank useing the bottom front oil tank bolts. This horshoes around the down tube holding the cable in position near the end of the short release arm. The reason for the shorter release arm is because you will have less travel with the cable to do the same job the mousetrap did. To adjust, ltighten the adjuster screw untill the new arm moves back a bit more than the old arm, ( you can hook up the new cable first to see how much travel you will have) then set the arm to the limit of that travel with the adjuster screw) Some experamenting will find the best range of motion. Mike

VT

Post by VT » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:43 pm

This horshoes around the down tube holding the cable in position near the end of the short release arm. The reason for the shorter release arm is because you will have less travel with the cable to do the same job the mousetrap did. To adjust, ltighten the adjuster screw untill the new arm moves back a bit more than the old arm
Sounds like a good way to get rid of the mousetrap if you wanted to. A stage between mousetrap and jockey shift :!:
Got a greasy-bottom-of-the support-plate-area pic of it you can post :?:

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:58 am

With the elimminator the clutch is lever is harder to squeeze so I don't know why anyone would want one unless they don't like the looks of a mousetrap. Wish I was in Davenport! Mike

VT

Post by VT » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:49 am

Yep..this is probably a good year for it with the S&S buy-out and end of summer action. Wonder if any of those fun hogs will snap a few flicks?

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”