clutch hub and basket wobble

Panhead Dave

clutch hub and basket wobble

Post by Panhead Dave » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:13 am

Hello Guys,

First experience with a Pan here............My clutch hub and basket wobble is this normal. I have replaced the bearings BIG Fix type...........and it continues to wobble while running Is this normal?

Thanks Dave

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Is the Clutch Hub securely attached on the transmission main shaft and is the key in there ? Clutch nut tight ? Could be worn clutch basket ( shell ) and or hub. Does the clutch work, even with the wobble ?

Panhead Dave

Post by Panhead Dave » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:46 pm

Hello,

I am pretty sure that the clutch hub is on properly. The key is in, and yes the clutch does work well although when the lever is pulled in the plates chatter. I tightened the nut fairly tightly to seat the hub (tight fit) but then backed it off and tightened it to spec. The hub and basket I believe are the originals so I guess the bearing mating surfaces could be out of round. The bearings that were in ther when I got the bike were done, and the mating surfaces on the hub and basket do show some signs of heat scoring. The tranny is brand new I could afford a Baker so Rev Tech it was. I think I might try to replace the whole primary with a belt drive unit along with a new hub assemby. I hate just being a parts changer but I also would like to ride the dam thing too!

I am think a BDL 1 1/2" with 11mm pitch and a BDL hub.......they have a 3" primary kit but would like to use my existing floor boards. What would your recomendatio be? The 1 1/2" or the 3" kit?

The amount of money I have spent thus far has really begun to add up.......I am used to Jap bikes.......but I wanna love this old Pan!

Thanks Dave

wreck74

tamer

Post by wreck74 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:55 pm

wellcome to the panhead, my 59 pan had a bent mainshaft, i changed that with a new andrews shaft and still a little wobble. so i went with a tamer. i have a shovelhead basket with a five finger hub and the chain set up. the tamer really helped. if i was going to go with a belt i would go with the 1 1/2" belt so i could vent the primary cover and still look stock. hope this helps.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:53 pm

If the hub is good on the shaft & the taper in the hub is good , the only thing else would be the bearing area of the hub/shell, as long as the proper amount of clutch plates and pressure plate spring tension is OK. The manuals spec's are ,bearing fit- 0.002 - 0.003

I had to replace all that on my older Pan , picked up the BDL 1 1/2 " , 11 mm. and put a new five finger hub with the big fix bearing type and I use my orig. primary covers. Works great . The bearing keeper I got with this set up is like a Tamer ,but there are others ,go to KIT BIKES here , there is a discussion about the BIG FIX.

I have all REV TEC gears and shafts in my orig. four speed case, They work great.

My clutch chatters every time I disengage it , I do not have anti rattle plates in there ,but may replace them in the future , its more distracting than any thing else , another noise .

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:43 am

see if your key is to tall, this will not let the hub sit square on the shaft.
check the fit with out a key and then with it.
mine did this.........

mbskeam

Billy

Post by Billy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:05 am

Check the hub friction liner to be sure that rust hasn't made a hi-spot behind the lining as it turns..(this happened to me)...

Course the shell will need removed for this..For a bit more accuracy, use a magnetic base dial indicator.. Or just use a straight edge or similiar off the ground & slowly turn hub while watching for run-out..

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:43 pm

panhead dave
Here's some photos of my BDL ,just for you to look at to see if you want to buy one.

Woops , the bottom photo is of my old 1 1/2 11mm. belt drive. Sorry , the one above it is the new BDL .
Last edited by fourthgear on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panhead Dave

Post by Panhead Dave » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:10 pm

Hello Guys,

Thanks for all of the help.............when we refer to "Brotherhood" I believe that it refers to the help that we so freely give and recieve. Once again thanks!

Dave

57pan

Post by 57pan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:58 pm

Panhead Dave,

Did it always do this or did you just notice it after putting the Big Bearing kit in?

If you, or a previous owner, used a standard 3-jaw puller to remove the hub from the trans main shaft there's a good chance that the flange is bent and you will need to replace the hub. You need to use a puller that engages the three threaded studs on the hub.

But, assuming that's OK I would suspect the woodruf key. When I had my hub off and tried to get it back on it seemed that no matter how carefully I put the hub back on the main shaft the key would rock just slightly in it's seat and then the hub would not go all the way on because the key was too high on the inboard side.

I resolved this by putting a couple of drops of LocTite in the key seat then put the key in the seat so that it had an even amount showing above the seat and let it set overnight (I didn't want to LocTite the hub on the shaft). Now the key stays put where it's supposed to when I put the hub on and no more wobble.

Panhead Dave

Post by Panhead Dave » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:32 am

Hello,

I don't know if the clutch had this wobble before or not.......The tranny blew about two weeks after I bought it...........so.. I will assume that it did. The key is ok, but maybe the hub is a little bent. At any rate I am just going to replace the entire primary drive. The chain is rusted and well worn as are the sprokets. The hub studs are all loose and the clutch plates have seen better days. Given that I am gonna replace all of it. I intend to keep this bike forever, and it is not goning to be "restored" just ridden. Any ideas on a belt system? I have given thought to a 3" BDL package. This seems to be one of the few copmanies offereing different ratios. Can anyone talk me out of buying a 3" belt system? Would I be better of going with the 1.5" instead?

Thanks

Dave

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:57 am

Are you running an enclosed primary? Nice thing about the 1 1/2" belt is it fits inside. Plus the 3" hangs out further puting more stress on your bearings. They do look cool, but I think on a 50 HP panhead, overkill. Mike

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:00 pm

You can use your org. primary tins for looks with a 1 1/2 and I always worry about some thing getting in a open primary and making it a bad day of riding . As said them 3 " do look cool ,but not needed, I think the tins look better.

VT

Post by VT » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:16 am

Works in stock chain primary hubs or use a Rivera belt clutch hub. Cures all the shell wobble problems with one assembly.
The clutch is pre-adjusted at the factory. No worries.
The 2 sizes of assorted shims (not shown) are only used after significant mileage. They don't want the diaphragm spring [sort of like a (37871-41) clutch releasing disc] to be flat. So, they provide (4) .020" (large) and (4) .030" (small) shims to maintain the diaphragm spring (arch-gap) of .010" - .020". Large shims install sandwiched on the shouldered nuts, for less arch. Small shims are used on the hub stud nuts for more arch.
Get the clutch hub holding tool (PC-3000) and hub puller (PC-2000) too. You can't use your stock style clutch hub puller, on a (PC-1000-A) Pro-Clutch . You need the clutch tools and they're not that expensive.
Mine is the 11mm x 1-1/2 w/ Kevlar belt. Don't ever bend a belt or it's history.
d28hc8.jpg
PC -1000-A
The hub nut (PP-016-T) is not included. You need it.
The seal (PP-017) is not included with the hub nut. You need it, but it's the same (James) as the OEM 12014.
imo, anytime a manufacturer utilizes an OEM type part in a hi-tech assembly, it's a class act.
Thanks Mike. :)
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ley&page=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Clutch”