1965 and up solid engine sprocket to 1964 and earlier

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
harleys4ever777

1965 and up solid engine sprocket to 1964 and earlier

Post by harleys4ever777 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:42 am

I have a 65 pan motor and a 64 trans.65 and later H D engines are 1/4 longer on motor sprockett shaft. In the old days many people installed newer motors in bikes with early trannys which then too are 1/4 shorter on the main shaft. So i dont have to rebuild a tranny with a new longer mainshaft is there any way to modify the solid engine sprocket to move inward 1/4 inch to lign up with the earlier tranny?People have done this but i dont know how.One book says to reverse the solid motor sprocket and tighten it and it will align.NO WAY JOSE! tried it and it locks down against engine cases! does anybody know of a way short off rebuilding the tranny with a longer mainshaft? Please HELP!

Ente

Re: 1965 and up solid engine sprocket to 1964 and earlier

Post by Ente » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi.. I have done the other way around, 65-tranny to an earlier engine with some welding from a compensating-sprocket and the lining was nearly perfect, but later on I replace the 65-tranny-mainshaft with the shorter pre-65 main-shaft... and that is my suggestion to you (but the other way around) Maybe you just can replace the short main-shaft with the longer one. If you not use electric start you maybe not need the outer shaft-support-bearing..... That is how I schould have solved it..

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”