Primary case bolts: how are the springloaded bolts installed

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
King

Primary case bolts: how are the springloaded bolts installed

Post by King » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:55 pm

Hi All

This weekend I installed new front chain guards both the inner and outer primary covers. My question is how are the spring loaded bolts installed? I think the lower one has the spring between the frame tab and the tab on the inner primary case but the top one is a head scratcher. The chain guard appears to go behind the tab on the oil bag with the inner primary case tab on the outside of the oil bag tab. But where does the spring go? For some reason Palmer doesn’t explain this wrinkle. I must say that the Paughco cases are a beauty. They have all the quality of the originals and fit perfectly. Also the service I got from NOS Parts was amazing, order in on Wed, parts arrived on Fri.

Thanks

King

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Re: Primary case bolts

Post by PanPal » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:46 pm

King,
Mine does not have the chain guard attached to the oil tank tab, but the inner primary tab is on the outside of the oil tank tab. Next the spring on the outside of the primary tab , then washer, ,nut and a cotter pin in the bolt which is inserted from the engine side, threads out. I am reasonably certain this is correct as the friend who directed me through the entire riding restoration is a hardware correctness fanatic. Lippoldt for those of you who may know him.

King

Post by King » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:45 pm

Pan Pal

Thanks. Sounds like your info is from the "man". That is the way i set it up so will leave it that way. By the way where does your rear chain guard attach?

King

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:37 pm

King,
I didn't check but I think I have a tab on my swing arm front and rear. What year is your bike? It may be the way you have it if you have a rigid frame.

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”