Clutch arm position on 1965 Pan

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Gearbox

Clutch arm position on 1965 Pan

Post by Gearbox » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:13 am

I'm trying to put my 65 Pan over to a Hand Shift, engine is in a 66 FL frame and I have both types of shifter, one for the 66 that clamps to the frame, or a tank set-up. Seeing my 3gallon tanks are painted I was going to use the tank set-up. (getting a little off topic sorry) My question is with a 65 hand shift lid, and what I'm pretty sure is the correct clutch release arm for the alum primary, my rocker clutch when stepped on, pulls and binds the release arm up and into the oil tank? I can't see how I'm going to run dual exhaust, the clutch rod runs up against the cross over pipe. After I stepped down on the clutch, the rod pulled forward and snapped the release finger inside the kicker cover, Clutch hub is a belt drive, everything appears to be correct, but just binding up really bad, manuals don't show much on foot linkage position, will I have to run a single exhaust? Any suggestions on initial set-up, prior to me breaking more parts, my clutch release rods starting to look like a pretzel. All help appreciated. ???

Cotten

Re: Clutch arm position on 1965 Pan

Post by Cotten » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:29 am

I'm not absolutely certain from my home catalog (proper literature and examples are at the shop), but I suspect that the OEM # for the proper release lever that you need is 37052-65.

The pic resembles mine, anyway.

Although there would be different rods for the different shifter assemblies, the proper one should install straight.
The dual exhaust is always a bidtch to squeeze in, especially with the huge neutral switch on the lid.
And by the way, the Factory manual has a picture with the clearance between the arm and the lid clearly marked. It seems that any other manual just leads to confusion.

(Again, ...ol' Uncle Floyd is rolling in his grave.)

Gearbox

Post by Gearbox » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:16 am

Thanks Cotten, I have a factory manual, but it does not show the arm and lid dimensions. It just has the exploded veiw of the kicker cover and clutch arm. Leaves a little to the imagination for sure. I figured out that I will have to run the 66 shifter assy, the earlier tank mounted shifter will not allow my shifter linkage to clear the cross over pipe ( Linkage has to much of a upward angle, hits the cross over pipe). My shifter rod is straight, however has a slight bend at the transmission cover area ( do I have it backwards maybe ?) With the 66 frame mounted shifter, what position is first gear, the gate I have is off a servy car with reverse, I think you can buy the gates still, my shifter lever is pointing down, and I'm pretty sure the manual shows it pointing up, earlier post that I have made, I think we decided it should be pointing downwards, do I need to change the position with the 66 shifter assy? How do you ever keep the oil lines and neutral switch wiring from burning on the exhaust pipes? Thanks again Cotten. Gearbox.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:55 am

Whew thats a lotta grief just for dumb dual exhausts.
Most 65s with a tankshift were Police issue (3.5 tanks of '63-4 conformity), so they didn't have to worry about duals. And they ran better.
I have encountered a pristine '65 that had a factory-perfect freezeplug in the rear dual header to separate the two flows. I suspect that the Factory knew duals sucked too,..but still wanted to cash in on style.
As if I could ever remember anything, I shall try to scan the Manual diagram that shows the exact dimension that the arm is to clear the starter motor. I ignore it to find the sweetspot anyway.

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”