Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Check that Transmission Oil!

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Check that Transmission Oil!

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:03 am

Always remember kids, oil is your friend. In case you haven't heard this before, clean oil is better than dirty oil and dirty oil is better than NO oil. When the needle bearings start to stack up between the counter shaft and the cluster gear inside your WL transmission it is too late to check or add oil. If you happen to be in 2nd gear when the bearings skate and try to pass each other lots of stuff happens, fast, and none of it is good. The counter-shaft sort of "welds" itself to the cluster gear, the kicker arm slams violently into the pavement, and, at the same time, the rear wheel locks up. You immediatley need two things, a ride home and a clean pair of shorts, later you will need a lot of expensive parts for the inside of that transmission. See pictures for end result.[/img]

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Countershaft & needle bearings

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:49 pm

the pic didn't come thru on the first post. Just another reminder to check the oil level in your WL tranny so this won't happen to yours. Mine spit the bits last Saturday, Apr 9,2005, tore it down on Sunday, waiting for parts to arrive this week.
I found a lot of evidence of water damage inside mine when I got it apart, probably condensation, etc., over the years. There is no drain plug on those old 3 speed boxes so if you see moisture in there you may want to find one of those suction devices to pull all the old sludge out and then refill it with fresh oil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Glad you posted your pictures. More than once, I've found similar sights in 45 trannys. And, these weren't trashed, yet. It is the most overlooked one component on a bike.

Jack

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:22 am

Check the trans oil & "Change it too"
I change mine when I do the Motor oil, & filter
I have a large syringe type of suction tool that I added a length of hose to
So I can hit the trans bottom & draw the old oil out. Since there is NO drain plug.
Shouldn't stop anyone from changing the tranny fluid too. It's the "life blood".
PS: Too thick of oil is not advisable either, that can cause problems too.
I been running 20-50 Mobil 1 w/Amsoil oil filters.

I think Amsoil is a cut above Mobil 1, But I don't get deals on it....

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”