Clutch release lever

Bill

Clutch release lever

Post by Bill » Sat May 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Here's my dilema. I wanted to install a mousetrap eliminator on my '56 so I bought a cable and a "C" bracket but instaead of buying a shorter clutch release lever I cut mine down and put a new slot and hole in it. Everything fit good. But I had a lot of problems adjusting the clutch. After about a year of screwing around with it I decided to go back to the mousetrap. I had the cable and mousetrap but now I had to buy a clutch release arm since I cut mine. I ordered one for J&P. First of all it was 1/2 the diamater of my original. I installed it but when I installed the the rod it was nowhere near the mousetrap. It was aimed about 6" from the mousetrap. If I moved the lever all the way to the front it almost lined up. Can't do that. If you look at it from the top it is straight whereas my original has a curve to it so the slot and the mousetrap are aligned. I called J&P and they said ship it back, so I did. Has anyone else had problems with the lever? Or is it just Tawain junk? I might just weld a couple inches to my original and redrill. Any help would be appreciated.
Bill

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Sun May 11, 2008 9:06 am

I need a little clarification here , you say the clutch lever is six inches off , do you mean the mouse trap clutch rod won't reach the clutch arm on the tranny? The mouse trap system is adj. in a different way than the eliminator set up.You need that curved part on the clutch arm for both set ups . It curves up for alignment of the rod or cable .

The one photo shows the mouse trap set up and the other is my mouse trap set up on my 65 ( best photo I could find of my clutch arm )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill

Post by Bill » Sun May 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi Fourthgear, What I mean is that the rod between the clutch release lever and the mousetrap is not lined up. When I put it in the slot on the lever is is aimed way off. It goes off to the left. Not close to mousetrap. Like the slot is not cut correct. It's a tight fit so I don't have any wiggle room. Now, with clutch adjustment screw backed out and I move release lever to the front it gets closer but that's no help. The lever needs to be at the rear of the tranny when adjusted. Either the slot needs to be at a different angle or the lever needs a curve in it, like my original. Thanks for the pics but it's kinda hard to see the release lever.

Bill

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Mon May 12, 2008 1:34 am

This is what V twin offers as a replacment.........Needs some work! I have the same issues with the one I got from them. I am going to countersink the rear hole to match the original. I don't think it is so much a bend that is missing. They did not machine the hole for the clutch rod correctly (or at all on the rear of the hole/slot) from what I am looking at. The replacment rod is also a smaller diameter then OEM and has more of a taper than an oval shaped head that rolls in the clutch arm.
By countersinking the back of hole in the clutch arm, the rod should have more side to side movement. Kinda sucks the one I have to modify is chrome.

Bill

Post by Bill » Tue May 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks for the info PanPal. You shouldn't have to do anything to it except install it. I can't believe they sell crap like that. I'm going to weld 2" back on to my lever and use that. Talk to later.

Bill

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Wed May 14, 2008 3:20 am

dont feel bad....
15 years later and this part still fits like crap
I borrowed a OEM arm and the repop was way off, so I bent it to match, had to paint it as the chrome blew off.
life was good till the next part....LOL

mbskeam

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Fri May 16, 2008 12:23 am

Mine is also the wrong angle so I just bent the pull rod a bit... works fine. Mike

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Fri May 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Yep, the bend is off also. I put both side by side last night.

Return to “Clutch”