Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

clutch adjustment

jay

clutch adjustment

Post by jay » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:37 am

I need some help with my clutch. In an earlier question you guys came up with the reasonn my circuit breaker would not complete a rotation was because my clutch was dirty or sliping so I disconnected the cable completelyand the engine fired right up,here is my problem if I make any adjustment at the actuating lever(pulling it foward) the bike will not start I have the compression issue where it pushes my cylinder back down. The bike shifts fine(every now and then it shifts hard) while running nuetral is very difficult to find, first gear is very noisy, I can not start the bike in any gear with the clutch pulled in however I can move the bike but it moves very difficut, at a stop the bike does not move forward but if I rev the engine I can feel it wants to slightly. There is no play in my hand lever like you usually have with a properly adjusted clutch. I cleaned the clutch but my foward primary is leaking oil so it does not stay clean very long. Am I killing my clutch with the way I am running it.

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 am

Have you adjusted your clutch according to the manual?

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4334

jay

clutch adjustment

Post by jay » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:46 pm

My clutch is not like the one in my manual, my clutch is a hand lever with no adjustment sleeve,a cable that goes down to the clutch actuator, which does have adjustment nuts which right now are adjusted out till the actuator arm stops moving toward the rear wheel.

jay

clutch adjustment

Post by jay » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Sorry I just reread the manual and I see it does give a starting point for the actuator arm I will try this and get back to you. Thanks

Return to “Clutch”