Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

To Belt or not to Belt............

Post by hjans » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi there

I read some items on the beltdrives in the KB and archives, but still cannot decide what is best to do.
Can buy a beltdrive assembly. I am interested in using one to built in to the primairy tin case.
But would this be a good move, or would it be better to keep driving with the old primairy chain ?
At this moment no problems with shifting or elsewhat.
Like i say : did read some of the articles, but i cannot find any definite pro's or con's for belt or chain.
Bike is a '59 FLH.

Thanks .

Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:35 pm

You'll get a lot of opinions about this subject. I personally like the belt drive system. It does require a bit more attention to detail when installing and aligninment then a chain system, but once you get them setup good, you can close em up and forget about them. A 1.5" belt drive system will fit nicely into a closed primary. Your options as far as ratio's are also a bit more limited then with a chain as well.

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:33 pm

Here is the latest discussion on belt drives.
Lots of discussion.
I am very happy with my 11 mm BDL.
I now have approximately 1000 miles on it with no problems.
I have been rough with it and have been carrying a spare belt just incase the "Ticking time bomb goes off"
A lot quieter than a chain.

1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:24 pm

Hell,yeah. Replace that old clanking,banging oil leaking total loss oil system chain oiling primary drive with a belt drive. Just be sure to have a replacement belt with you at all times. Cause it ain't no fun to bust a belt in the middle of Big Bend National Park, Texas. I am speaking from first hand experience. It is something to tell your grand kids about. What a trip. 1988. :lol:

Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

I have a Primo front Belt

Post by Motorcyclemike » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:35 pm

I have a belt drive in Both My "Pan" and "Knuckle" and also i have the clutch kit that called the "Tamer"in both, you will also need to install one in my opinion to keep the clutch hub unit from rolling back together when you Dis Engage the Clutch.....it makes for Smoother shifts and No Creeping stopped and in Gear... and its good to also Install a "Nylaton" plate behind the clutch hub shell in place of the one that's riveted to it.....drill out the rivets and simply place the Nylaton in position......and DON'T OVER GREASE the Rollers on the hub assembly.
Good Luck.
Moootor Cycle Mike
Its Good to some way......vent the primary too....To keep the belt cool.

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:40 pm

As was stated, pay particular attention to pulley alignment during your installation. The belt is not as forgiving on this as is the chain. Remember the belt get tighter as it warms, and will really goof up clutch operation if it is too tight.
My 51FL and 57FLH both run belt drives. My younger brother has had a belt on his 49FL since the late 70s. Go for it.
VPH-D

1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:47 pm

As always.I ain't no help. Sorry for butting in. Just a dumbass hillbilly.

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 pm

I have settled on 5/8 inch up slack and 5/8 down slack with about 5 lbs push and pull on the center of the belt. After running 100 miles without stopping, I noticed absoulutely no tightening of the belt with my 11 mm BDL. My outer primary is not yet installed tho. Tranny pulley is not heating up. Engine pulley is a little cooler than the engine case.
Ditto on the nylatron and the retainer. I had no creap or chatter with the chain. When I put the belt on, I had both until I installed the retainer and the liner.

1950Bobber

Belt drive option

Post by 1950Bobber » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:22 am

hjans........

I think I've made my preference WELL KNOWN on this subject...but I have one good question for you!

You state, "At this moment no problems with shifting or elsewhat. "

So my question is: WHY FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKEN...or in your case, WHAT IS WORKING PERFECTLY WELL??????????

If you're just bored, I've a got a bike or two that I could use a spare hand throwing together!!!!! :)

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:45 am

1950 Bobber Job
i really doubt If he can Swing by and help you assemble that Bike ,hes half way around the world in the Netherlands
( i Googled his town)

My Pan and Knuck were made so much nicer and cleaner with a Belt..plus my Friends riding behind me don't get Splashed with my oil on their T Shirts and windshields / Sun Glasses and i hated to pull off from a stop and Drive thru my own puddle of 60 weight YUCK! Plus when the bikes were moved outside after setting a few days on the side stand the 10 feet of line of cold 60 weight that i left when the bike was up righted and moved was awful(yes check ball not seating allowing oil to seep thru) and that's one great benefit of that Belt Drive that I Love and its easier to spin a belt then a~~~~~~~~chain.
And i have a few friends with nice asphalt drive ways and they asked me Not to park on them when i had the chain drive and tee total lost oil system to lube the chain......nuff said .
"When a Pan Head Motor gets Quiet...CAUTION...its getting Ready to BLOW" !

Have a Great Day ;)

Moooootor Cycle Mike
Last edited by Motorcyclemike on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

hjans

Re: Belt drive option

Post by hjans » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:53 am

1950Bobber wrote:hjans........

I think I've made my preference WELL KNOWN on this subject...but I have one good question for you!

So my question is: WHY FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKEN...or in your case, WHAT IS WORKING PERFECTLY WELL??????????

If you're just bored, I've a got a bike or two that I could use a spare hand throwing together!!!!! :)

Well Jim, i'd like that, but two problems :
I ain't got no days off left this year, and i live in the Netherlands, so it's a bit uneasy to drive up the weekend.
Idea though sounds good : maybe consider it next year !!

hjans

Post by hjans » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:03 am

Oops ... didn't login......
As i say : no problems now, but, Jim, it IS fun workin at the Pan, and if there are other good reasons to change to belt i would consider it.
If not, and the only reason would be "sounds of silence" and/or oil, i just leave it as it is. No problems with excessive oil, closed the chain oiler and spray the chain every now and then. And of course : one of the reasons i ride a pan is the sound and the bit of oil spilled : the perfect indicator on low oil !!!! ( just kidding )
Just thought : if everybody has got a belt there must be a /some good reason(s) other then oil and sound. Just didn't hear them yet !!

Re: Belt drive option

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:35 am

Anonymous wrote:
1950Bobber wrote:hjans........

Well Jim, i'd like that, but two problems :
I ain't got no days off left this year, and i live in the Netherlands, so it's a bit uneasy to drive up the weekend.
Idea though sounds good : maybe consider it next year !!

hjans...

I read your avatar...was well aware of your resident country....thus my invite! You'll always be a welcomed guest 8)

I run a belt drive for all the reasons stated here and on the other threads posted....

I have a spare belt drive system lined up for my '58 chop..it will be retrofitted on that bike as well...but I'm in no hurry now, the chain drive is doing the job well. If and when I get into her, I'll change it over. Why?

1) smooth running! And I mean smooth!
2) Quiet...VERY quiet primary!
3) low maintenance, low cost of replacement belt, ease of replacement belt installation.
4) NO OIL FLOW TO THE PRIMARY = NO OIL PUDDLE UNDER SAME :roll:
5) Ain't THAT enough for you? 8)

Stock, OEM Chaindrive advantages.....
1) Why mess with a perfectly good primary system? :lol:
2) Why spend more money on that Hog?
3) Chain will last longer under periodic maintenance :shock:
4) Be original...keep you OEM parts as long as possible...they ARE VALUABLE compared to aftermarket Sh*t!!!!!
5) PERFERENCE! :wink:

my $.02

hjans

Post by hjans » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:04 am

Well Jim, invitation accepted.............maybe next year.........

Thanks for your considerationss.
I'll have to rethink, but probarely stay at the chain!!

Hans

1950Bobber

Invite remains....

Post by 1950Bobber » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:57 am

hjans wrote:Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Well Jim, invitation accepted.............maybe next year.........

Thanks for your considerationss.
I'll have to rethink, but probarely stay at the chain!!

Hans
Well...YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME :lol: The GREAT Northwest!!!!!

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”