Tranny adjustment

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Tranny adjustment

Post by panfreak » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:16 pm

Hey everyone.
Still sunny here in BC so I was riding after work yesterday, and I noticed that I wasn't quite going into nuetral when the shifter was in the "N" position on the gate. I kinda had to wiggle it around a little to pop it in.
Now I know I could figure out the adjustment by flipping through my manuals, but it's more fun asking you guys, and others may benefit too from a tutorial on SHIFT ARM ADJUSTMENT 101. Seems simple enough, but those words have been my downfall before. Better to ask before I go ahead and fix it on my own.
Chew.

mbskeam

Re: Tranny adjustment

Post by mbskeam » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:34 pm

hello
This is how I do it.
put bike in N,
then look and see where shifter is at in the gate. Then if it needs to be adjusted I undo top linkage on shifter arm and put the shifter arm to where it needs to be, if the linkage does not line up, spin the rod end to line up with hole in the arm. then tighten up. take it for a ride to make sure that it goes into 1st okay and into 3rd or 4th depending on what you got.
Its no fun finding out that it will not go into 4th on your way to work the next morning, because it bottoms out on the shifter gate
mbskeam

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Re: Tranny adjustment

Post by panfreak » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:32 am

MB
You know, common sense told me that this was all I needed to do, but I listened to everyone talking about 31/32's for clutch etc and I figured there must be a more precise way of doing it. I guess it's not rocket surgery after all!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”