Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

main shaft oil leakage

Post by hjans » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi

Just finished cleaning the tranny.
No major problems there except : an oil leakage between the main shaft and the ( what i think is ) main drive gear
IMG_2581 (Small).JPG
The leakage is where the arrow points at.
I don't think there is to much clearance between the main shaft and the maindrive gear.
When oil level drops leakage stops. But i think the level is too low at that point.
Any advice on how to deal with this ??
Maybe the answer can be found in the KB, but i searched and did not find it.

Further :
What is the function of the little hooked metal piece the arrow at the next pic points at ?
Is it the drive gear spacer key ?
IMG_2579 (Small).JPG
( sorry for the bad picture : no macro on my camera)
What does it do ?

Thanks for your opinion.

Hans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Perry Ruiter

Re: main shaft oil leakage

Post by Perry Ruiter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:06 pm

There's a bushing in the main drive gear that could be worn and allow oil to leak out along the mainshaft. However, you list your bike as a 59 but the main drive gear looks to be a 65 and later style with room for an oil seal to prevent leaks there (even with a seal you'll still get a leak here with if the bushing is worn bad enough). The part number of the oil seal is either 12022 or 12013. Most decent shops should have that in stock and I'd try that before replacing the bushing.
The purpose of the key is to tie the spacer to the main drive gear so it spins with it ... Perry

hjans

Post by hjans » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:21 pm

tranny is an original 59 ( according tio the numbers)
Hans

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Hans & Perry!

The pic is pretty fuzzy, but it looks to me like there is only a deep champher, and not a full counterbore for a seal in the main drive gear.

A seal would have been be a band-aid for a minute at least, but the only real repair is to replace the bushing, as Perry said.
And that means a full tear-down.

Removal of the old bushing requires a proper shouldered drift, although the bushing could be split at it's seam and carefully pried out if necessary.
Pressing in a new bushing requires a pilot sleeve as the proper shouldered drift then pushes it in place.

Lathe-boreing would be ideal, but often the bushing can be rough-reamed and then honed to size.

The trick to a perfect fit when installed, and thus a long life, is to torque the spacer and a sprocket upon the gear before fitting the bushing to the shaft to its minimum spec.
Torquing the nut on the bench requires not only the proper deep socket, but a means to hold the sprocket firmly. I use a piece of channel steel with a short piece of chain attached, as shown in the attachments.

...Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Perry Ruiter

Post by Perry Ruiter » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Cotten wrote:Hans & Perry!

The pic is pretty fuzzy, but it looks to me like there is only a deep champher, and not a full counterbore for a seal in the main drive gear.
Looking again in the sober light of day, I have to say (once again) Cotten is right. That gear doesn't look counterbored enough for a seal ... Perry

hjans

Post by hjans » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for your comment.
What about the oil level ?
How low is to low / how "full "is enough ?
I'm told to level the bike and fill the tranny till oil reaches the thread of the fill-plug.

Hans

hjans

Post by hjans » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:12 am

and finally : when does one reach the point to replace the mentioned bushing ?
Since the rest of the tranny looks good and absolutely no problems when riding i'm not eager to go there .
Hans

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Hjans!

Up to the threads is the usual level-marker, however I have an aftermarket cover that sits much higher.

The need for replacement is the inverse of your tolerance for the mess. Hopefully, the deflector keeps it inside the primary.

At least, maybe,..
You can turn your chain oiler off!

....Cotten

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”