Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Mechanical Brake Drum Sprockets

Post by drinner-okc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:23 am

OK. I just got the service manual out & looked again. This weekend I got both wheels and brakes out, cleaned & lubed them, and have them ready to install on the rigid Pan, replacing
the Aluminum wheels and worn-out disc brakes.
I have 2 mechanical brake set-ups, one came with a 47 Knuck basket I bought long ago.
I had the 2 drums side by side (deciding which to use on the Pan) and noticed the one that
came with the Knuck has a 52 tooth sprocket. That's OK, cause it's gonna pull a sidecar
anyway. Anyone else have a drum with a 52 tooth sprocket?
I put a posting in 'Projects' about my weekend. I did not mention all the work removing the
old hardened tires from the rims! My back aches!
drinner-okc

mbskeam

Re: Mechanical Brake Drum Sprockets

Post by mbskeam » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 am

bigger on the back will make the RPM'S higher at any given speed
51 is stock
a 52 would be for sidecar use, but I have not heard of one.....maybe after market?

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:22 am

drinner
Do you own a hack saw? Cut the tire, save the rim. Much easier.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, its a lesson I learned the hard way while trying to remove an ancient diamond tread Firestone from a 31 VL rim. Both the tire and the rim went to the junk pile when I was done.

mike

drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:54 am

Mike, it was the rare tires I wanted to save, the one rim is a cheap aftermarket with big rust
spots & peeling chrome. It had an Iroquois tire with a square drive pattern, then I removed a Carlisle 5.00x16 with a zigzag tread. It has very little wear. It will either run on a sidecar,
or be mounted as the spare. It has some serious sidewalls!
When I start my Knuckle project, I'll have to breakdown & swap 2 more rims. I have two early hubs with center (small) valve stem hole rims, I'll put the black rim on one. That'll give me 3 black wheel assemblies. Then I'll need a spare to mount on the hack. If the rim I removed today can be blasted & painted, I'll do that.
At the February OKC Swapmeet, a guy had a 16" rim powdercoated black for $10. I shoulda
jumped on that one.

My back still aches!
drinner

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:28 pm

It's hard to believe any parts manufacturer would go to the effort to make a rear sprocket with only one tooth difference from the stock 51....Mike

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”