Electric start, thoughts about it

AussieJohn

Electric start, thoughts about it

Post by AussieJohn » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:57 am

I've got a chopped 57 Pan with original 57 straight-leg rigid frame and 4-speed transmission. Converted to a 12v system a while ago. This is my third chopped Pan since I started riding (chopped..heh heh!) Pans some 30+ years ago! As gas quality here in Oz seems to be getting worse and more variable, and I keep getting older, it takes a lot more serious effort kicking the chop over to get her to fire up each time. Hmmm. She runs sweet as sweet once she's fired up and she will start eventually. Its the unpredictability of the kick-start that is a pain when you're on the road in some of our more remote areas of Oz.
I've seen this electric start kit for Pans from Tech cycles (http://www.techcycle.com/panheadkit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).. that bolts directly onto the trans mounting plate and I'd like to know if any of us have got one/seen one/ thought about it and followed it up/or know anybody who has put one onto a 4 speed Pan? I figure one good whirr of the starter and the chop would kick over every time! heh heh!.Thoughts appreciated.

Aussie John.

57stroker

Re: Electric start

Post by 57stroker » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:02 pm

Aussies on Pans? Now that's a scary thought!!!!! Is there many over there?

AussieJohn

Post by AussieJohn » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:16 am

No worries mate, there are a good number of Pans left from the day in Oz. Most of us grew up on WLs (called Wallas over here) then moved onto Pans. Nicest way I can put it is we mostly had American or British iron in Oz after the Aussie involvement in the war in the Pacific.
My first chopped Pan (again a 57 FLH) has now done over 400,000 miles on one engine rebuild (in 1982). There are still chopped Pans from the 60s and 70s, original lightly restored Pans Pans anywhere from 48-65, and a run of modernised Pans, (mostly front and rear discs only!.not my style!or with an updated carby!!yep, I've got one for the gas here). Each year there's a coupla gatherings: one in the dry outback at the Coota1000, a vintage iron road race. Used to be vintage Harley vs Indian, now its north vs south vintage American iron!.(OK there's a big piss-up party attached as well!). 80 bikes this year, mostly Pans, a lot of Hydraglides (the roads here are pretty ordinary) and WLs. But also a 1916 16J outfit.
Nice thing, its mostly dry, dry & dry over here!.little corrosion and ya should be riding your Pan or your other Harley every day through the winter. Did get down to 7C at 0930 on our last ride north of the border 2 weeks ago, but it was just ice and frost till we got to the coast 3 hours later!..then 19C.

Ride safe, ride Pan forever,
Aussie John.

visitor

Post by visitor » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:54 am

Aussie John, 400,000 miles & only 1 single rebuild ? :
Maybe that was a typo ?
I find that one a bit hard to believe....

AussieJohn

Post by AussieJohn » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:52 am

Hey, you're right!should read 400,000 kms, was going to convert it to miles!let's see!that would be 250,000 miles!looks better, sorry! The older of us still remember miles, only just! Having said that, I'd still expect a good total Pan rebuild to do some 150,000 kms before going right back into the cases in Oz.
One thing we don't know yet is how often we will have to just replace valve seats (or ?more) on our Pans with the use of high octane unleaded coupled to additives, we lost super (95 RON) a little while (12 months) ago. !..and I gave up on an early S&S and put on a stock HD '93 Evo carby!..popular here with the Pan and shovel bikers!and the chop runs a lot better with our fuel.
So as we tend to do the odd km or so just to meet up again, so still lookin for that elusive fix for our hard starting problems!!!.

Aussie John.

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:28 am

Aussie John,
I use the HD CV carbs on many HD's here in the US as well. Good Carbs.
I'm using one for on my Flatty Servi-Car. also.. ;D
Lots of tricks can easily be done on them, to out-perform $$performance carby's.. Or make it economical as possible.
Very Versatile!!! ;D

I also like your term for WL's = Wallas, that's Cool!!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:26 pm

Hey! I used a Tech Cycles electric starter kit on my pan. It is a cool conversion if you are ready for belt drive, but be aware that this is not just a bolt on set up! It took some work to get the starter, ring gear, pullys to line up, etc. As you know, nothing is consistant from bike to bike and year to year (and chopper set up to set up)! Since I will assume that you have some basic skills and availability to a competent machine shop, you will easily overcome any thing you might run into! My bike starts like a new factory bike and with a 90" Pan, I am only good for a few kicks on this beast at this stage in life!
Call Tech Cycles or e-mail them and make sure that before they ship to OZ, they double check all the parts and pieces are assembled, in the box and correct! I had the whole bike back to gethere before I realized the forgot to install the bearing between the clutch and drive sproket!
Good stuff, works well but you must stay on top of them!

TaiPan

AussieJohn

Post by AussieJohn » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:01 am

Hey Billy,
Just got in off the road at the end of the week. Wet tram lines in pouring rain in a Melbourne winter offer the odd challenge heightened by cage drivers who have a bit more confidence in original HD drum brakes than I do (!!). Still think the HD rigid frame handles like no other in the wet, she just sticks to the road as always.
I think you're right regarding CV carbies. Going over to high octane unleaded and using additives, the CV wasn't set up right for the Pan. After one gigantic bucking sneeze going down hill at speed into a roundabout, scaring some folks walking their dog (I think even the dog jumped) ;D, it was high time to rebuild again.
Pulled everything upstream of the heads off!.thinking sneeze=?the usual Pan manifold seals. Tried a good combination of CV jets, another spare Evo carby I had (nah, no improvement!), and finally got a real nice set-up again through the rev range. Took some time but worth it.
I think the basic problem is our piss-water gas in Oz. Can't point the finger at older carbies, stock and performance - they just may not be equipped to handle the low octane additive-ridden crud that passes for gas these days.
Now its back to two priming kicks, and she roars into life on the next one or two kicks as before...setup being running two weeks OK now!!.hmmmm!!still looking at that electric start!!..ride safe,

Hey TaiPan,

Thanks for the info mate!!this was indeed good to hear. Your electric start setup sounds very cool indeed. I've already got a belt primary drive in a smooth style tin primary cover!..
I showed the tech info to a Panhead loving mate of mine, and we both thought yeah would be different and a laugh!..especially after refilling dry tanks in the outback on dubious gas!!kick, kick, nothing!!kick kick, bang!!..nothing!..jacket off, 40C in the non existant dusty shade!kick kick!.Ah F**k it! Press starter button to amazement of Pan riding mates!whirr!!.yo! Big grin!
Yeah, always takes a bit of time and maybe several goes to get any setup exactly right on a chopped Pan, but heh, its always worth it, especially any hand machining, tinkering and fabrication ya gotta do yourself. Its always good to see that the old ways are still alive! Thanks again for the info,

Aussie John.

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:41 am

Aussie John, Glad you got out your problems on your CV carb. Life is better when the scoots are running fine. ;D
Got a Friend from OZ running a hot rodded up Walla running 2 cv's. The set-up is amazing to see. Says she runs great with all the mods he has done.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”