Oil in clutch shell

mcraeav
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Oil in clutch shell

Post by mcraeav » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Took the primary cover off my 62 FLH and noticed some oil in the bottom of the clutch shell. If this is a dry clutch should there be any oil at all? If not where would it come from?
Should I take apart the clutch and look at the plates or clean them of the oil or get new ones. The clutch seemd to work just fine when I bought the bike and rode for about 10 minutes. Just started checking everything and haven't ridden it any longer.

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Oil in clutch shell

Post by Bosheff » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Is there oil on the ground under the primary cover, or just in the clutch basket?

mcraeav

Post by mcraeav » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Yes it drips on the ground; I cleaned all the inside of the primary to see if I can tell where the oil is coming from. I had just changed my trany fluid. Is there a seal behind the clutch that would leak oil into the clutch?

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:11 pm

Stock clutches are wet/dry ,but they like dry better. The primary may be over lubed . I can't really see tranny fluid getting in there ,it will show up on the ground first.

mcraeav

Post by mcraeav » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:25 pm

After cleaning the inside of the primary good it looks like the oil is coming from behind the engine sprocket and driping on to the chain. My chain oiler is not hooked up, or there is no line on the back side of the primary for the small L shaped tube. Is that the chain oiler?

Is that oil seal that is behind the engine sprocket easy to replace from the outside after pulling off the sprocket?

panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:09 pm

There is a chain oiler, the adjustment is on the oil pump(stock). It is a needle valve with a lock nut. It is on the right side of the pump, 3/4 down and is angled up at about forty degrees. It runs through the engine to the primary. You want oil in the primary, the chain should be wet so I wouldn't mess with the engine seal unless with the oiler off it is still too much. Should drip when parked. The trans can leak at the clutch rod, which will get in the basket. There is a seal in the nut for the hub. I never fill my trans all the way because of this. Bottom of the threads (fill hole) is too much, a little less (1/2" down) will work. I double sealed mine and it works much better. There is room in the nut for two seals. Hope this helps,

Scott

mcraeav

Post by mcraeav » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:01 pm

That really helps me understand it. I did over fill my trans so I will correct that. So once the plates get a little oil on them, is that OK, or do I need to clean them?

If I check the chain oiler needle setting, what should I find if it is turned off; screwed all the way in?

The guy that I bought this bike from had put a shut-off valve coming out of the oil tank. I guess so it would not drip on the floor and drain the oil tank.
I removed the valve because I was concerned that I might forget to turn it on sometime when starting the bike.

mcraeav

Post by mcraeav » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Do you check the trans oil with the bike standing upright or leaning on the jiffy stand?

panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:48 am

It depends what style clutch plates you have. I run kevlar and soak them in auto trans fluid for ten minutes before I install them. They don't mind a little oil. What ever you have you can clean them with a brake cleaner as long as it is a chlorinated type.

The shutoff valve probably was there because the motor sumped. The oil drains into the engine and fills it. Is your oil tank full before you fire it up? It makes for a mess at start up and is probably why you have oil coming out of the drive sproked shaft. The check ball in the oil pump is worn there are many ways to fix this, dig in the knowledge base if this is the case.

If your primary chain is wet the oiler is probably open some. If it is closed all the way,(it should only be lightly seated, never torqued closed), I would watch the chain closely for a while and make sure it is wet with oil every time you check it. if not , open the oiler about a turn to a turn and a half, and monitor. I suppose enough oil could be coming out of the sprocket shaft to oil it but that is rare, (unless you are sumping), let alone not correct.

Check the trans with the bike level.

Return to “Clutch”