Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Close ratio gears: difference with stock FLH gear sets

fourthgear

Close ratio gears: difference with stock FLH gear sets

Post by fourthgear » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:38 am

I need to pick some of your brains again , What is the difference between close ratio gears and stock flh gear sets ? Does it mean the gear ratio's are closer together for better operation? There was someone in one of the threads said he missed his third gear with his new close ratio gear set . I am rebuilding my 74 tranny and am used to only stock gear sets and don't mind all the clonking when shifting, but the Revtec close ratio sets look appealing to me but I don't want to change anything too much. What did he mean by losing his third gear , not tall enough? what ?

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Re: Close ratio gears

Post by Jack_Hester » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:07 am

FourthGear -

My personal opinion. If you don't plan to race it, stick with the stock ratios. Pulls good from a standstill. Especially, with two people on board. Winding through the gears, you may feel at times that you need another gear after high gear. But, has nothing to do with the feel, going through the other gears.

No idea what was meant by the other comment.

Jack

55FL

Post by 55FL » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:50 am

I'm the source of that comment. I found that when I went to the close ratio gear set, 3rd gear did not have the "flexibility" it had before. I was not able to putt around town in 3rd gear nor "wind it out" as before.

57pan

Post by 57pan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:49 pm

Forthgear,

Based on my research here is what I know about the close ratio gear set.

(The ratio tells you how many revolutions of the tranny input shaft are required for each revolution of the tranny output shaft.)

The stock ratios a
re:
1st 3.00
2nd 1.82
3rd 1.23
4th 1.00

The close ratios a
re:
1st 2.60
2nd 1.82
3rd 1.35
4th 1.00

So, you can see that 2nd and 4th are the same in both gear sets. First gear in the close ratio gear set is "taller" than stock. This means that it is going to be a little harder starting out but it is a little closer to the 2nd gear ratio so it's not going to clunk as hard going into 2nd. Third gear in the close ratio gear set is a little "shorter" than stock so your engine will be revving a little more with the close ratio gear set when compared with the stock gear set for the same ground speed. But 3rd gear in the close ratio gear set is spaced a little more evenly between 2nd and 4th gear.

There are other factors to consider as well. You can play around with the engine sprocket and the tranny sprocket to give you a higher or lower overall drive ratio.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:10 pm

Well, now I'm a little more educated in gear ratio s for " 74 " trannys as I new I would be after asking a question on this sight .
57pan
I see most sets are eather 260 or 244 , I thought the 260 was for FLH's and the 244 was for superglide types , but I have seen the 300 mentioned some place . I guess I will stay with stock ratio because I'm used to it . Since I'm replacing everything but the cases , I'm going to go with Andrews since the Revtec no longer appeals to me . I am too old to run from lite to lite, no not the beer ! Thanks guys

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:58 am

hello,
fourthgear.....
I have run stock gear ratios and now I run the ratio that is written about above. now I can make it thru a intersection with out shifting. I did not notice a big loss in take off, but the 1st to 2nd gear "clunk" is gone. 3rd gear did not seam to feel a real diff. but I also changed to 25 tooth tranny sprocket so what I felt would have been diff to start with. I did this because or the miles I have to cover back and fourth to work(27 miles one way at high way speeds 60 plus)
The gear set set is a Andrews :-* it seams to be holding up well.
mbskeam

ps: I have read stuff about revtech stuff and not all of it is good

57pan

Post by 57pan » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:01 pm

Mike,

Just curious... I have heard bad stuff about RevTech motors but everyone seems pretty pleased with their transmissions/gear sets. Have you heard otherwise about the trans/gears?

It's too late for me 'cuz I already have the gear set and am in the process of reassembly.

Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:05 pm

I have the Andrews 1st and third gears in my tank- shift '48 chopper and they are great! Aside from the near silent shifting ,(You can usualy hear the foot-shift bikes "clack"a block away) the rpm isnt pulled down as much on each shift as with the stock ratios - that means quicker acceleration. I also was concerned about take off since I have a 25T on the trans too but after a week or so I couldn't tell the difference.

wheels

Post by wheels » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:05 pm

I too had 1st and 3rd andrews in my old chopper. it does make'um fly through the gears. people found it hard to believe the bike was relatively stock( except for s&s and andrews cam). had a buddy put the gears and a cam in his 76 bagger and you wouldn't believe the dif. it made. in my opinion ( we all know what opinions are like) if you like to hot rod your bike and aren't that concerned about the originality of it i would go with the andrews 1 and 3. you will really notice the dif. when your bike is loaded (or you're loaded) down with a passenger and gear. you'll have the pull and still have stock 4th.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:36 am

hello,
57pan.... I was thinking of the 5 speeds that had the recall or something like this . My thinking is if this is junk then the 4 speed parts might not be all that much better. But this is just my opinion.
mbskeam
if you want to read more about this sort of stuff go to.... http://www.network54.com/Forum/47850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
do a search on revtech

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:01 pm

57pan,

When my 49FL transmission needed a rebuild, I decided to go with a new trans and save the OEM item for a "correct" restoration. I replaced it with a RevTech 4 speed. After 4000 miles, I'm pleased with the performance. I wouldn't rave about smooth shifting, but I'm also not complaining.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:44 pm

caschnd1
Does your Revtec tranny have the same gear set that they sell for replacement for four speeds as a complete set ? That would be 2.60 first ,1.82second , 1.35 third, and 1.00 fourth. If thats how its set up . How is on riding double ? Thanks

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:30 pm

fourthgear,
Yes, I'm running the close ratio 2.60 gear set you described. Can't say how it runs two up. It's a chopper with a small solo seat. Being a chopper, there is nothing there that doesn't make it go or stop so it's lighter then stock.

panheadron
Bikes: 56 Pan, 62 CH

Post by panheadron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:19 pm

108 wrote:I have the Andrews 1st and third gears in my tank- shift '48 chopper and they are great! Aside from the near silent shifting ,(You can usualy hear the foot-shift bikes "clack"a block away) the rpm isnt pulled down as much on each shift as with the stock ratios - that means quicker acceleration. I also was concerned about take off since I have a 25T on the trans too but after a week or so I couldn't tell the difference.
Hi. What are you running for a motor sprocket? Also what camshaft?

panheadron
Bikes: 56 Pan, 62 CH

Post by panheadron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:21 pm

mbskeam wrote:hello,
fourthgear.....
I have run stock gear ratios and now I run the ratio that is written about above. now I can make it thru a intersection with out shifting. I did not notice a big loss in take off, but the 1st to 2nd gear "clunk" is gone. 3rd gear did not seam to feel a real diff. but I also changed to 25 tooth tranny sprocket so what I felt would have been diff to start with. I did this because or the miles I have to cover back and fourth to work(27 miles one way at high way speeds 60 plus)
The gear set set is a Andrews :-* it seams to be holding up well.
mbskeam

ps: I have read stuff about revtech stuff and not all of it is good
Hi. A 25T tranny. What is your engine sprocket? Also,what camshaft do you run?

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”