Too much slop in tranny?

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Too much slop in tranny?

Post by Panacea » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Have you ever had a loose primary chain and noticed how the drive train felt? That's how my pan feels even with the primary and final drive chain adjusted properly. With the cover off I can roll the bike back and forth and notice the chain sprocket will rotate about a half inch before the clutch basket moves, I doesn't sound like a lot but it feels wrong. I'm wondering if something inside the tranny is out of spec, although I've not seen any metal in the oil when recently serviced. Sorry I can't be more specific. Mike

fourthgear

Re: Too much slop in tranny?

Post by fourthgear » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 pm

What gear is the tranny in when you were looking at it ? Are you feeling a lag on start up ,when letting the clutch out ?

Panacea

Post by Panacea » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:10 am

First gear, no lag at start up, it just seems to have like a backlash when letting off the throttle, then the opposite with a little gas. The trans shifts really well though...I noticed a gear whine like the generator lash is way off but that dissapears as soon as I pull in the clutch. I wonder if I have a bearing thats going out in the tranny..Mike

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:25 am

Well, ya know ,if you are in doubt , you will have to pop the top ,just for a look see. Could be some thing , maybe not .Worn gear set could give some play , but I think there is always some , even with new. It is a chain drive system and there is always some slack ,even with the proper adj. . The whine could be a bearing . Hows your fluid look ,any metal shavings or any thing in there ? Turning the rear tire , you are driving the gearing bassakwords , if ya know what I mean .I once spun a clutch key & it had a sort of lag .( well maybe more than once )

drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:38 am

If you do pop the top off the trans, push & pull all directions on the C/S cluster. Your shaft
might be worn, and bearings worn down enough that the shaft will move away from the
mainshaft, or move up & down enough to change the distance between centerlines.
The main drive gear turns the C/S, it moves away instead of turning, when it reaches
it's max travel it turns what ever gear you are in, the problem will be worse in lower gears.
If it moves away enough, the gears will be exerting the force on the outer (thinner) edges,
instead of the widest. One breaks, gets between 2 others & 'kerboom'.

This problem can be caused by running heavy or hypoid oil in the transmission. When it is cold it will not flow thru between the shim & end of the cluster.

Better to find sooner than later.

Panacea

Post by Panacea » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Fourthgear and Drinner-okc, thanks for your ideas, This tranny was gone through and brought up to spec about 2000 mi. ago, which means nothing...Mike

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”