clutch drum

49er
Bikes: 49 el chopper

clutch drum

Post by 49er » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:05 am

Hey, I have got hold of a good looking drum but it has the gear for electric start. will it fit in the older tin primary? it looks like they took a cut on it with a lathe to get the gear on. how deep is the cut? I would grind it off if necessary. but if the cut is deep i would just grind the teeth off with a sidegrinder then give it to my buddy at the machine shop to put in a lathe and grind it to give it a uniform diameter.

mbskeam

Re: clutch drum

Post by mbskeam » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:07 am

I had one that had the gear on it, all I did was cut the welds that held it on, a hammer did the rest.....

Panhead Joey
Bikes: Harley Davidson 1959 FL Panhead

Re: 1959 Clutch Shell

Post by Panhead Joey » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:11 am

Hello,

I dissassembled my clutch and wanted to insert new Barnett steel plates, Barnett springs and alto fibre discs first time doing this. It has a 5 stud clutch hub on a 1959 FL looks like previous owner upgraded it from a 3 stud to a 5 stud according to the clymers manual (1959 FL had a 3 stud hub) . When removing the spring collar, pressure plates, springs, steel and friction plates I notice the clutch shell was moving in and out considerably before I even removed the clutch hub. I did a live chat with a J&P technician he said the clutch shell should not move it all. I started to think about it because the clutch shell, compensating sprocket and primary chain come of as one whole unit in the clymers manual and then remove the clutch hub. Anyway, am I right on this should the club shell move or no movement at all?

Thanks

Joey

Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 03 FLHTCUI (now minus the I)
01 FXSTDI (given to son)
76 FXE 93" stroker
53 FLF
84 Sporty now gone

Post by Casaba » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:42 am

The clutch shell or basket is not secured once you remove the pressure plate assembly. It will simply pull off as it should. My advice would be to never do a chat with people at JP!

Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 03 FLHTCUI (now minus the I)
01 FXSTDI (given to son)
76 FXE 93" stroker
53 FLF
84 Sporty now gone

Post by Casaba » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:43 am

2nd note, the only thing holding the shell on now is the lateral stress of the chain, once the front sprocket is removed, the whole assembly will fall right off

Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:12 am

Hello Casaba,

They were exactly my thoughts when you removed the pressure plate assembly the clutch shell should be loosened to slide off. I am definitely not a Harley Mechanic but after careful reading and studying I questioned the J&P tech after I thought about it for a little while. I will no longer consult with them this is the second time they gave me bad advise the reason why I became a gold member was for the tech knowledge but I'm doubting how much they really know.

Thanks,

Joey

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:44 am

At least the quality of Jay-Pee parts is equal to their technical advice.

Joey, I respect the fact that you're new to owning a Harley. I am also confident you will learn as you go.
I'd suggest ditching the Clymers manual and buy a reprint of the HD Service Manual. The Riders Handbook is also a gem for information, and the Spare Parts Catalog is also very useful. You can probably download them here, but it's nice to have the manual right there with your tools. They are all available as inexpensive reprints.
If you have a question, ask. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
This forum has a lot of experienced members, and so does CAIMAG. It's okay to join more than one forum- the more people see your question, the more responses you'll get, and information gained. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.
You'll soon find that these motorcycles are not difficult to work on, with good information, proper tools, and common sense.

Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:17 am

AWESOME tip I just downloaded the free service manual for the 1959 FL another great tool to the tool box. I will take your advice and check out CAIMAG as well. I can't say how greatly this forum has helped me and appreciate all your guys help and information. I started joining this forum because a couple of Harley mechanics did not want to touch the 1959 FL their answer was "the bike was too old". REALLY? So, in about 4 days I have the clutch system down and never talken a motorcycle course in my life. Not sure what the problem was? You're so right a little patience, service repair manual, proper source of info and common sense and lots of questions and I'm on way to replacing the whole clutch system and mousetrap set up.

Thanks Bigincher!

Joey

Return to “Clutch”