Kicker

StueyC
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Kicker

Post by StueyC » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:34 am

My Clymer manual tells me to postion the kicker shaft with the flat on the threaded section in the 12 O'clock position after engaging the return spring and then fit the crank gear with the dowel/peg positioned at 7 O'clock. The placement of the flat in relation to the square section on the shaft will not let me fit the gear where the manual says. The best I can get is the flat at about 10 O'clock and there is no tension on the return spring. Rotating the kick shaft 360 degrees to place tension on the spring and get the flat back around to the 10 O'clock postion seems to place excessive tension on the spring. Is there something I'm missing here? Any assembly tips as the manual seems a little vague.

Thanks in advance.
StueyC

Kuda

Re: Kicker

Post by Kuda » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:02 pm

StueyC wrote:My Clymer manual tells me to postion the kicker shaft with the flat on the threaded section in the 12 O'clock position after engaging the return spring and then fit the crank gear with the dowel/peg positioned at 7 O'clock. The placement of the flat in relation to the square section on the shaft will not let me fit the gear where the manual says. The best I can get is the flat at about 10 O'clock and there is no tension on the return spring. Rotating the kick shaft 360 degrees to place tension on the spring and get the flat back around to the 10 O'clock postion seems to place excessive tension on the spring. Is there something I'm missing here? Any assembly tips as the manual seems a little vague.

Thanks in advance.
StueyC
Any chance you've got the spring on backwards?

-Kuda
'49 panchop

Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:49 pm

I recall someone discussing a while back that some after market kickers have the square hole thru them at the wrong angle so you can’t get them set so your kicker arm rests at the twelve o’clock position. Maybe you have one of those in-correct kicker arms.

StueyC
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:40 am

Spring is definetely on the correct way. Checked my old shaft and the flat on the threaded end is in a different postion. I have engaged the spring and rotated the gear 90 degrees on the shaft. This gives 1/4 turn compression of the spring when the gear peg/dowel is moved to the correct 7 O'clock postion. Will this be enough tension to keep the kicker arm in the upright postion or should the spring have a bit more tension i.e. 1/2 a turn?

StueyC

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”