Primary belt & rear chain recommendations

Sidecar

Primary belt & rear chain recommendations

Post by Sidecar » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:11 pm

Description: I am looking for recommendations on primary belt kits & rear chains.

All seems to be going well on my 48 Pan kit. I've put quite a few miles on it with no real problems, just some adjustments. I'm getting a little tired of tightening the primary chain every 500 miles and the rear chain every time I take my bike for a ride. The items that were supplied with the bike kit are bottom shelf. I am looking for recommendations on primary belt kits & rear chains. I want to retain the OE primary cover.
Let me know what you think.

TIA
Randy

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Primary belt & rear chain recommendations

Post by panhead » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:40 pm

I am using a primary belt for 20 years now and am pleased with it. It's a Phase III kit, but I think they are out of business.

kell

Post by kell » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:25 pm

I don't know about the primary (I run a belt) but I recently replaced my rear chain with Diamond brand O-ring chain. Diamond has been in business longer than anybody else. I saved a little money by ordering it through a place that supplies power transmission stuff, mostly to businesses. Northside Power Transmission, on Morgan Avenue in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, NY. They have a minimum of $100, so I had to wait until they could add my chain onto another order, they were really doing me a favor. If you want to pay full price you can get Diamond chain from J&P or whatever.
Another time I bought the main ball bearing for the transmission over the counter at Northside, no waiting or shipping cost. The moral of the story is you can get lots of the stuff you need for your motorcycle without going through the supply channels that are dedicated to the motorcycle market, and save money doing it.

dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:56 am

hi Sidecar, i think i'll do the same, tired to ride with some pounds of wrench to tight these chains, i think one of the advantage of primary belt is that it suppress some vibration. The 1"1/2 kit is the only one you can use if you want to keep the OE cover. I don't know if it really need to be vented or not, any advice ???

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:57 pm

The 1-1/2" belt woks under OE tin. Primary cover not have to be vented. Motor case needs to be plugged or I guess you could try turning the primary oiler needle down into the oil pump, but not overly tight and ruin the pump's seat . Breather pipe needs to be cut past the elbow and have a rubber hose attached and dropped down behind the exterior of the inner primary, so the motor can breathe. Motor and trans need seals installed. Pulley alignment is important. Our next book covers it. We are using Primo's belt setup. Problem is that neither Primo® nor BDL® make a motor pulley that is equivalent to a 24 tooth motor sprocket which is going to make the motor run at a higher rpm @ 63 mph. Bummer. I'm going to try the maximum toothed 26 tooth trans sprocket to make the machine run at a slower lope, but I've heard that it makes 3rd to 4th a longer stretch. Primo® has no plans to make an equivalent 24 tooth motor pulley either. This is all new frontier stuff. This is 1903 all over again (except for the cell phones and computers).

dirtpandan58

Post by dirtpandan58 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:05 am

Sidecar,
That's what I run.
Primo 1½" belt with closed primary (not vented).
O-ring chain with 23 tooth tranny sprocket.
Haven't adjusted the belt since I put it on 5,000 miles ago. Adjusted the chain once.
I run right at 70 mph most of the time. If I go faster I get vibration untill about 75 or 80 and that's runnin' a little to hard for a long period.
If I had to do over again, I would do it the same way.
Later,
Dirt

Oh yea, glad to hear you finaly got most of the bugs worked out.

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:41 pm

Sidecar,
What kind of kit was your '48 Pan. A Tedd kit? Does you Pan have the three-bolt exhaust flange? If you have a stock inner primary, a rear O-ring chain is too wide. It will hit the outside of the primary.

dirtpandan58

Post by dirtpandan58 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:08 pm

I have a stock primary (repop) cover , and mine doesn't hit. Allthough I did have to put my master link in from the outside in to keep it from hitting the primary and chaingaurd mouting bolt.

Dirt

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:59 pm

Yeah..now that you mention it, i think that's what's was hitting on mine, but I lacked the mental-snap to put my master link on reversed and took a loss on the chain which i think was a big wad of money when i bought it. Glad it worked for you.

57stroker

Post by 57stroker » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:05 pm

On my Sportster, I tried every chain I could find. From the cheapest farm junk (3,000 to 4,000 miles if I oiled it every other tank!) to a Diamond o-ring (the first one lasted 7,900 miles and the second one lasted 8,000 miles). I was riding 170 miles a day round trip to school and stopped in a unathourized harley bike shop. I told them I wanted another Diamond o-ring and the guy said "Do yourself a favor and try one of these." He reaches under the counter and pulls out a Tsubaki o-ring chain. It cost $10 more than the Diamond but this one has 7,911 miles on it now and I've only adjusted it once. The master link is hard to put in. I used 2 pair of needle nose vice grips.

kell

Post by kell » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:17 pm

Speaking of difficult master links.
I had to put the master link in a big long channellock, close to the pivot of the jaw, and squeeze the handle ends with a vise-grip until they flexed. With the vise-grip locked on the channellock handles I then rapped hard on the channellock jaws repeatedly with a heavy wrench. The shock of hitting it caused the link cover plate to budge under the pressure bit by bit until it was on.
I will say this about Diamond. I called them while I was still struggling with it and they were good enough to send me two extra master links complete with clips and lube. If anybody here lost the master link from their Diamond O-ring I can send you one.

dirtpandan58

Post by dirtpandan58 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:35 pm

I was having a hard time gettiing the side piece to go on my masterlink too, so I turned the piece over. It wet on pretty easy then. Probably something to do with the way it was stamped out when they made it. Still had to use chanle locks to pop it on but thats all.

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:57 pm

'Sidecar,
What kind of kit was your '48 Pan. A Tedd kit? Does you Pan have the three-bolt exhaust flange? If you have a stock inner primary, a rear O-ring chain is too wide. It will hit the outside of the primary.''
Sorry for the long delay in responding. I was on vacation. Yes this is a "Tedd" kit. It has the 3 bolt exhaust flange.
''On my Sportster, I tried every chain I could find. From the cheapest farm junk (3,000 to 4,000 miles if I oiled it every other tank!) to a Diamond o-ring (the first one lasted 7,900 miles and the second one lasted 8,000 miles). I was riding 170 miles a day round trip to school and stopped in a unathourized harley bike shop. I told them I wanted another Diamond o-ring and the guy said "Do yourself a favor and try one of these." He reaches under the counter and pulls out a Tsubaki o-ring chain. It cost $10 more than the Diamond but this one has 7,911 miles on it now and I've only adjusted it once. The master link is hard to put in. I used 2 pair of needle nose vice grips.''
I like the sound of this !!!!!!!!
I'm going to look for one of these chains and see what I come up with.

hd74

Post by hd74 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:39 am

Sidecar:
If you want a rear chain that almost jilch for maintenance use a Tsubaki. It works with the tin primaries.

hd74

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:44 pm

Thanx for all the responses !!!!!!!!
I'm going to try a rear Tsubaki chain.

Return to “Chains & Belts”