Primary chain oiler: at what rate should oil drip

Kowalski0A5599
Bikes: 1965 FLH

Primary chain oiler: at what rate should oil drip

Post by Kowalski0A5599 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:02 am

Hey out there,
At what rate should oil drip on primary chain to keep it healthy? Steady stream or a few drops every minute or ???. Also, have heard that synthetic oil is much better. Riding a 65 pan. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

mbskeam

Re: Primary chain oiler

Post by mbskeam » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:11 am

hello,
when I ran a chain,I had the oiler screw on the oil pump set at about 1/2 turn open, it made the chain have a light film of oil on the chain. this was after about a 50 mile ride. when it was parked it would make a oil spot on the ground a little smaller than a dime. oil is cheap chain is not. I have not tryed synthetic oil , I run valvoline 50 or 60wt racing oil, and I change oil about every 2000 miles. It then goes into the old oil burning car that I have. It does not seam like such a waste of 2.50 per qt or oil............Yes I'm cheap.
mbskeam

hey is this a trick ? isn't the primary on 65 and up a closed alum. type with a oil bath for the chain.(wet clutch)

chucktx

Post by chucktx » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:55 am

well mine is.....unless he changed it to something else........

Billy

Post by Billy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:28 am

Good Catch Mbskeam-

65+newer was the first alum. hard outer prim.
It still peed on the chain, but was sucked back into the oil tank. (Never liked this design) Clutches are the dirtiest & add this crap to your motor oil.
IMO= 1 step forward, 2 back. No spot under the bike.
But now the oil was shared w/the (pigs) clutches!!

Kowalski- I forget if yours is modified or stock closed primary ??
Synthetics are fine. I use them, But if you have any leaks, they will leak more..

Kowalski0A5599

Post by Kowalski0A5599 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:23 pm

Billy is right. Oil ends up back in engine. I never felt good about that either. I used to just run a piece of rubber hose off the fitting on back of the inner primary case and let oil drip out on ground. Got tired of oil all over back wheel, etc. I have since made a little catch can that fits pretty much un-noticed on bottom of frame just in front of the rear fender. Put a drain in it and get rid of oil that way. Sounds like I may have oiler screw open too much according to what Mbskeam said. How much oil should be dripping out as I watch it? Any other ideas on keeping the back of bike from getting oil all over it? Thanks all!!

Kowalski0A5599

Post by Kowalski0A5599 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Oops! I have the stock closed primary. I guess you figured that out. Thought I would make sure. Also, I have heard that some guys seal the primary off and run their clutches as wet clutches. Does this work? You would need clutches that are designed to run in oil wouldn't you? Thanks.

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:25 am

Kowalski-

I think 1-2 drops per 60 seconds at hi-idle is fine, your chain will show if too little oil is dripping on it..

I like converting to 'closed system'. & I only add 8-10 oz. of primary fluid, just enough for the chain get wet .

But for 65 there is NO opening/inspection/or derby cover, to add oil.
So that primary cover won't work for that.

your "catch can" is about the only I know of to NOT recycle the oil.

Kowalski0A5599

Post by Kowalski0A5599 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:42 am

Billy,
Thanks for the info. In a sense I do recycle the oil. When I drain my little "catch can" the oil goes into my junky lawn mower or chainsaw. The tin primary cover does have openings for adjusting clutch and for getting to chain tensioner. Could add oil this way if I was going to seal off primary. I guess stock clutches are ok with sealing off of primary? I will just run it the way I have as I have had no problems. Was just curious. Thanks as always!!

chucktx

Post by chucktx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:15 am

billy, i am assuming that you block the return line from the inner primary to the pump?? with no ill effects?....i like the idea of a closed primary, as i never thought about the clutch junk in the engine....thanks
chucktx

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:08 am

Chucktx- Kowalski-

What I do for 65 + newer is connect the 'Front chain oiler hose' directly to the 'Return hose', away from the primary.
Just making a loop back into the motor. I do leave the 'vent line' hooked to the primary (needs to breathe)
Plug off the 2 other primary fittings, I just re-routed "In & Out" hoses from, & then add approx. 8/10 oz. of pr. oil or so, to just let the pr. chain get wet going by.

This works well as long as you don't have any bad oil leak at the sprocket shaft. Or it will keep adding oil into
the primary. (Not good w/out a return)

No need to block off anything. & your oil is cleaner.

chucktx

Post by chucktx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:59 pm

thanks billy.......
chucktx

Return to “Chains & Belts”