Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

2nd Gear

dasweasel

2nd Gear

Post by dasweasel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:26 pm

I have a 58 panhead that is now reborn from its humble rolling chassis/basket case beginnings. The issue that I have is, the inability to upshift into second gear (I can make it happen less than 5% of the time - what normally occurs is when shifting from first gear into second, it pops into neutral, and stays there. After numerous attempts to shift into second, it eventually upshifts into third, and then I must immediately downshift into second). This only happens for second gear - all the other gears work great, as well as downshifting into second. The tranny was inspected and installed by the mechanic that rebuilt the engine.

Is this caused by the clutch or mousetrap mechanism not being properly adjusted (if this is the case, which one and how should I adjust it), or is it more likely that somethings not right in the transmission?

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated,

Ed

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: 2nd Gear

Post by Bosheff » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Highly unlikely that mousetrap or clutch have anything to do with yer shifting problem. All they do is let the power transfer from the engine to the tranny. It sounds like yer shiftin thru 2nd gear when ya keep tryin to get it in. Could be a bent shift fork, or maybe a bad shifter clutch (1-2). Could even be in the ratchet assembly itself, (if yer runnin a ratchet top), but somehow I don't think so. Could be the 1-2 shift fork needs to be realigned with the shift drum. Has it been this way since you took possession, or is this a new problem. A little background info would be a big help in diagnosis....bosheff

fourthgear

Re: 2nd Gear

Post by fourthgear » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:10 am

dasweasel wrote:I have a 58 panhead that is now reborn from its humble rolling chassis/basket case beginnings. The issue that I have is, the inability to upshift into second gear (I can make it happen less than 5% of the time - what normally occurs is when shifting from first gear into second, it pops into neutral, and stays there. After numerous attempts to shift into second, it eventually upshifts into third, and then I must immediately downshift into second). This only happens for second gear - all the other gears work great, as well as downshifting into second. The tranny was inspected and installed by the mechanic that rebuilt the engine.
Is this caused by the clutch or mousetrap mechanism not being properly adjusted (if this is the case, which one and how should I adjust it), or is it more likely that somethings not right in the transmission?

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated,

Ed
Just because it was inspected ,doesn't mean it was tested. I'm with the above post , miss adj. shifting forks or as said a bent one. One other thing is the shifting drum ,if they get worn ,they can give you trouble.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”