VT speed transmision

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

VT speed transmision

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 pm

I have a VT 4 speed transmission. The problem is kick starting. Pulled clutch cover and as I kick through, the kicker seemed to catch and sometimes would turn the motor sometimes not. I removed the kick cover and found the key had sheared on the starter clutch. Replaced it and bushings and o ring. Reassembled and everything seemd ok. Got it started. The next try it seemed to go back to the same situation. Pulled off kick cover and key was ok, had not sheared. Could I have done some internal damage. I read one post about being clutch adjusment, but being in neutral should that make a difference?
Thanks
Eric

steinauge
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: VT speed transmision

Post by steinauge » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Look at the teeth on the ratchet gears.If the soft taiwan teeth are rounded off it will do that.Also if the bushing in the ratchet gear is badly worn it will make the kicker not engage properly.

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Stay away from the imported kicker gears as I've heard they're junk. Yer only other options are Genuine H-D if ya can find em (pricey), or go the Baker route (outrageously expensive), but at least they work properly. Better a good used Genuine part than a new import part. By the way, what O-ring are ya talkin bout in the kicker set-up....bosheff

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:39 pm

The bushings and O-ring are on the kickstart shaft. All the gears are in very good condition. I just replaced the starter gear.
Thanks

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:21 pm

By the way, what O-ring are ya talkin bout in the kicker set-up....bosheff
He may be talking about the seal between the two kicker shaft bushings in the kicker cover.Could be a later mod. cover.

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Sounds like you clutch is slipping. With the derby cover off. Kick it though. If the center of the clutch is turning and the outer drum isn't. Ya found your problem. NOS parts has OEM kicker gears at $65 clams a piece. Money well spent when you think of the alturnitive. Push starting your bike in 90 degree heat one day.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:23 am

Robert, did check my clutch, it was a little out of adjustment. Adjusted it and put the kick cover back on. It was a strange feeling. nothing was happening. Kicker went all the way around. pulled the cover and the starter clutch came off with it. The same thing happened, the key sheared. Any Ideas what is causing this? Can you kick through too far?
Thanks

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:20 am

When ya say the starter clutch came off when ya pulled the kicker cover off, do ya mean it wasn't on the mainshaft? If that was the case, that tells me the nut that secures the starter clutch on the mainshaft had to come loose, right? I will assume you used a lock tab behind the nut, and bent it over the nut. What were ya using for the key? Genuine H-D? Repop? Did you examine the fit of the key in the keyway before assembling? Don't know anything about a VT tranny, but I would guess the parts used are less desireable than Genuine H-D parts, and therein may be the problem. Check the key fit in the mainshaft, and also the fitment of the starter clutch on the mainshaft with the key installed. Also check the fitment of the key in the starter clutch when not on the mainshaft. Yer problem has to be there somewhere, but at this point ya gotta do the detective work to pinpoint the problem before reassembly or you'll probably be doin it again. Once you have reassembled to your satisfaction, pull the spark plugs before kickin it through to see if the engine rolls over without a bunch of resistance on the starter gears. If it passes this test, put the plugs back in and go for it. The key should fit very tight on the mainshaft, and the starter clutch should fit good and tight on the mainshaft with the key installed. There should be no slop what so ever. As far as kickin through to far, you can only physically kick it so far because of the design of the human leg which will not let you kick it through to far if ya git my point. From an engineering and design standpoint, you would have to rotate the kicker arm almost 360 degrees before you reach an interference point....bosheff

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:55 am

I had had the kick cover off. I adjusted the clutch and put the kick cover on with a couple of nuts. I set the compression releases and kicked it through using just my hand. nothing was grabbing. I had the nut off the starter clutch antisapating a sheared key and getting ready to remove the starter. In other words the nut and lock washer were already off. the starter clutch seemed to be on the shaft tight but after the kick through I remove the cover and the starter clutch slid off with a sheared key. I did not use a H-D key will go to the dealer tomorrow and get one.
Thanks

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”