Primary chain oiler missing?

mcraeav
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Primary chain oiler missing?

Post by mcraeav » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:43 pm

I am rebuilding a 62 I bought and noticed the line from the back of the inner primary cover that appears to oil the primary chain has been cut off about 1 inch behind the inner primary. I guess now the primary chain won't get oiled and I want to hook it back up but can't find where it should go. I don't see any place on the stock oil pump to hook a line into. The last owner was running it like this but the blow by from the motor was so bad I guess that oiled the primary chain. Now after an engine rebuild I need to oil the primary.

mcraeav
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Re: Primary chain oiler missing?

Post by mcraeav » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:22 pm

I took another look at my inner primary and it looks like the previous owner welded in a L shaped tube that sitts over the primary chain and sticks out the back side of the inner primary. Does the primary chain get oiled from the rubber cap that goes into the engine case?

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Primary chain oiler missing?

Post by john HD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:16 pm

the primary is oiled by droplets that are exhausted by the breather. the amount of oil is set by the small screw on the side of the oil pump. the oil is bled into the breather passage and blown onto the chain by the breather exhaust.

if your original pipe is missing you can use a spark plug boot to direct it onto the chain.

the boot has merits as it will be consumed by the chain with no damage if it falls off!

john

Return to “Chains & Belts”