Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

clutch tamer

socalrider

clutch tamer

Post by socalrider » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 pm

im considering buying one of these "clutch tamers" for my 65 flh. the bike is all stock and not ridden hard. any opinions, warnings or any other type of useful info would be greatly appreciated. ive seen some listed with just the plastic retainer and other as a kit with shimms,spacers and various other parts. do i need all the kit or just the retainer. dont want to buy anything i dont need.
gracias,
arnulfo
los angeles

Panshovevo
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Re: clutch tamer

Post by Panshovevo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Others may know more than I, but in my experience, all you need is the plastic 'Tamer' insert and the snap rings that hold it to the clutch studs.
The one I used has three sets of holes, allowing three different positions. Each position is a different thickness, compensating for a little play, or a lot.
I'm happy with mine. It greatly reduced the grabbing/surging I was experiencing at stoplights. It's even more appreciated now that I've converted from foot shift to hand shift.

flamingoesg
Bikes: 1959 Pan
1948 Pan

Post by flamingoesg » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:55 pm

I agree with Panshovevo. This solved the grabbing/surging problem with my wife's 48 with hand shift. It's simple but it works.

Cogburn
Bikes: 56FLH
77FLH

Post by Cogburn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:45 pm

I like the tamer that has the bolt on plate that retains the clutch shell. It is quite a bit more expensive than the ram-jett retainer though.

The main reason I like it is with a belt drive primary the grease on the rollers for the clutch shell doesn't get on the clutch plates as bad due to the extra clutch steel installed first to make room for the Tamer. It also holds the clutch shell straighter and you can shim in the amount of clearance.

Use a Tamer along with a PTI Talon diaphram conversion and all the bad things the old clutches go away. The diaphram conversion gets rid of all the clutch drag and is requires less effort to pull the clutch handle.

socalrider

Post by socalrider » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks for the replys.cogburn, can the mouse trap still be used with that talon setup?
Arnulfo

Cogburn
Bikes: 56FLH
77FLH

Post by Cogburn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:47 pm

I've not had to deal with a mousetrap but I don't see a problem using it with the PTI RL Talon.

As I understand it the mousetrap has more throw but as long as the diaphram is set to overcenter the correct amount that should not cause a problem. There may be an increase in free travel.

You might give them a buzz and ask them .

http://www.prairietechinnovations.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.prairietechinnovations.com/d ... e-full.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il-rigido
Bikes: 1979 Bobbed cycle, 2008 FLHR, 2005 XL883R

Post by il-rigido » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:45 pm

I,ve had "The Tamer" on my 4 speed for some mounths, I've tried to set it at its best, but there is no hope to eliminate completely the slight drag of the basket on the hub.
Thrust me, remove the original clutch and put on a Rivera ProClutch (with or without mousetrap).
You will never know how good it is untill you try it.

Return to “Clutch”