Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Clutch Cushion plate 37950-41

Post by panhead_kicker » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:29 pm

AKA spring plate, half plate. I've read several posts regarding this clutch plate in the KB area, but none of them explained very well how any "spring" or "Cushion" action occurs when using this part. My understanding is that the plate is indeed FLAT and provides no spring action in the perpendicular direction to the plate. (the arms are not sprung outward) Is this true?
Looking at a picture of the "spring" business side of the plate the only spring action I can possibly imagine is a slight spring allowed in a radial fashion by the "arms" of the disc. I guess based on the proper positioning of the disc with the arms facing out, the force would be towards the center of the disc as the clutch engaged?
Is a radial spring force what these discs provide?
37950-41.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: Clutch Cushion plate 37950-41

Post by NightShift » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Dear Panhead_Kicker,
The spring ears bend sideways not outward just not much. Can you see just a little bit of tweak on the ears like this one?
CUSHION.jpg
If not, then now you know the real meaning of NOS.

R'spectfully,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Re: Clutch Cushion plate 37950-41

Post by panhead_kicker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:32 am

Thanks Shifty, I see now what I had hoped to see... these discs are not perfectly flat. The spring action that the "ears" as you call them provide is against the releasing disc. Makes sense.

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”