Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
JohnnyBadBrains
Bikes: 1956 FLH Panhead
1938 UL Flathead
1968 FL Shovel (Basket case)
2007 HD Street Bob

clutch chatter when clutch disengaged

Post by JohnnyBadBrains » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:14 am

1956 Panhead, stock tranny. Getting a wicked loud chatter when I pull the hand clutch lever in. I just replaced the friction plates, converted it to five stud clutch hub, new springs, kept the old three steel plated because they are in good shape, no warping, clutch buffers all solid and plenty of spring in the balls. Here's what I did and double checked:

31/32" distance for spring compression as manual indicates (at all five stud bolts) measured with metal pocket ruler
4 1/4" distance from foot shifter housing to edge of chamfered slot
steel plate all face out, staggered the clutch buffers
bent the tabs over clutch hub nut after tightening
torqued compensating sprocket to 100 ft. lbs. per manual
set primary chain up and down play to 1/2 inch on bottom run
primary chain in very good shape, no stiff links, corrosion etc...

when sitting on the bike and I look down at the clutch shell with primary cover off while the bike is running, the shell has some visible wobble to it when I pull hand clutch lever in, nothing drastic visually, but the noise is LOUD LOUD LOUD. (imagine a 55 gallon drum with pennies getting shook around by some huge dude)

bike runs and shifts up and down in all four gears much better than before the new friction plates, just this loud chatter with disengaged clutch.

Gotta be something i did wrong or am missing. Any ideas? It's been disassembled, reasembled and on a table lift not running for seven months and today was the first I rode her since March this year. Man what a tease!

As always, thanks for any help you send my way!

Johnny

amiabledave
Bikes: 1957 Panhead, First HD was a 1969 Sporster w/factory mag,

Re: clutch chatter when clutch disengaged

Post by amiabledave » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:57 am

I never saw wobble while running unless something was wrong. The stock bearings and retainer does have some play, but no wobble. I would suspect then you put the clutch hub on the main shaft all where in good shape (main shaft doesn't exceed a just noticeable shake (as per manual), studs tight and not grooved, tappers/key in good condition) and when the nut was tightened all was solid.

The next thing left is the clutch basket and bearings......

I run a belt and shelved the stock bearings/retainer and went with the 52 long rollers. I have a 3 finger assembly instead of the 5. It's rock solid and have no clutch creep

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:19 pm

If yer not runnin a "Tamer" in the setup, you will probably notice a certain amount of wobble when the clutch is disengaged. As for the rattlin yer referin to, this is common when runnin steels without the buffers on em. This noise is amplified when running an open primary setup....bosheff

JohnnyBadBrains
1938 UL Flathead
2007 HD Street Bob

Post by JohnnyBadBrains » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Hi Bosheff,

Thanks! You've eased my mind, saved me the time of disassembly to find nothing wrong, and helped me confirm I can follow shop manual directions better than I was giving mysefl credit for :)
Happy New Year to you!

JohnnyBadBrains
1938 UL Flathead
2007 HD Street Bob

Post by JohnnyBadBrains » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:36 pm

:D Ahhhhh..... All re-assembled, accelerating, running and stopping smooth and straight. Amazing what a non broken frame feels like 85 MPH, ease on the foot brake, stops straight as an arrow. Oh yeah, back to clutch chatter. it's actually a little less than before I replaced the plates, I forgot to realize that I was so used to riding with foam earplugs and that when I was reassembling everything and testing and listening I was not, so OBVIOUSLY it sounded louder :roll: Well, anyway, thanks to this forum, I'm rollin into 2011 nice and tight. Thanks all!!

Johnny

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”