How to remove main sprocket

txpan49

How to remove main sprocket

Post by txpan49 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:25 pm

I am trying to remove the main sprocket nut from my 4 speed. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to grab this puppy and remove it? Manual says left hand.

Thanks,

Txpan

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Re: How to remove main sprocket

Post by Jack_Hester » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:33 am

TxPan49 -

The clutch nut tool is fairly inexpensive, though I've seen one made using a 1-7/8" socket.

Jack

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:43 am

hello,
yep thats what I use.
you take and cut the socket in half and weld a piece of pipe in the middle, and you have your deep well socket, for about 7.00$
mbskeam

txpan49

Post by txpan49 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:08 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful. Its stuck pretty good and I will give those a try.

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:41 pm

The 1-7/8" socket should be a 3/4" or 1" drive. Either one will slip completely over the transmission mainshaft. You can weld something to the outside or on the end, to turn it. A cap with a 1/2" drive hole will work just fine. But..... The standard tool is not much more than what you will have invested in a new socket and whatever else you do to it, to be able to turn it. Just options.

Jack

1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:12 pm

I'm having some trouble getting the clutch hub off obviously AFTER the clutch hub nut was removed. I'm told, the previous mechanic may have put that nut on too tight....it's seems to be problematic at times. The advice I received is a good air impact, possibly heat but don't be surprised if the clutch hub is difficult to remove. I'm told the key could be jammed if assembly pressure was overkill!...I'm new to tapered shafts (all my motorcycles before this '50 were splined!)....BUT when putting it back together, just a "jolt" from the air impact AND don't reassemble that clutch hub like it needs to be sent home too hard...
jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:24 am

hello,
I have used 2 ways to get the hub off.

1st way:
put on the nut till finger tight, then back off 1/2 turn, take a brass drift and a Big hammer and smack the end of the nut, good and solid. some will pop off this way, don't beat it to death.....

2nd way:
remove nut
get a puller, the T bar style , remove the grabber fingers, so all that you have is the bar and the take up bolt. now put on the bar and then a old clutch plate and the nuts, spin the take up bolt till it is tight up to the plate, it may just pop off or you might have to tighten the bolt 1-2 more turns, now with a big hammer smack the end or the take up bolt, 1 hit on it should pop it off.

I have done it both ways, the 1st is fast but dose not always work, the 2nd always works for me.
I now have the correct puller that I got at the swap meet(5.00), but I have not had to use it YET ;D

mbskeam

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:29 am

Jim -

Install your clutch hub puller, making sure that the puller shaft has something flat to press against, and not the shaft itself. Some pullers come with just a pointed tip. I've seen people destroy the end of the mainshaft with one of these. Anyway, install the tool and snug it up tight. Then, with a brass hammer, or holding a piece of brass over the end of the tool shaft and using a standard hammer, strike the tool sharply. Not hard, as you are striking against a mainshaft, secured to an aluminum case. Usually, once is all that it takes, to break the hub loose from the taper. Sometimes more than once. But, the idea is to have the puller installed tight against the mainshaft. On occasion, tightening the puller is all that it takes to pop the hub off.

Jack

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”