tranny sprocket nut

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
62wild1

tranny sprocket nut

Post by 62wild1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Forgot my password and trying to replace the tranny sprocket. Also forgot which way the thing comes off. Is it reverse thread? I hate to pound away on it and jam it on tighter. HELP!

and Thanks

62trvler or
62wild1???

VT

Re: tranny sprocket nut

Post by VT » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:01 pm

It's a left hand thread. Turn the mainshaft nut to the right to loosen. It was probably torqued to 150 ft. lbs. The aluminum wrench made to remove it is a nice tool. So is the transmission bench stand with that one foot length of #530 chain.
c4ic8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:18 pm

I got it off finally. That is a sweet setup, where does one find a tool like that?

Thanks

VT

Post by VT » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:41 pm

I'd suggest calling Kick-Start M/C Parts @ (616) 245-8991 (EST 10-5). If you buy their 5 buck catalog, it has the tools you need, plus an OEM part number cross-reference inside that is useful.
Note: The bench stands do not ship with the chain. Hack one of yours apart.

p.s. I am in no way connected with Kick-Start M/C Parts as some lame-o on this site once suggested. I'm providing their name only because the people that own the shop are basic grease monkeys that might help you in ways other than just taking your money and hanging up. Generally, the more prepared you are with your needs and part numbers, written down on paper, the more time you will get for Q&A before the tacky buzzer goes off, indicating that your time is up.

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:15 pm

Forgot my password
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3453

VT

Post by VT » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:00 am

Yeah :!: Old Skool.

Nope Dale, twern't you.
Last edited by VT on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:16 am

VT wrote:I'd suggest calling Kick-Start M/C Parts @ (616) 245-8991 (EST 10-5). If you buy their 5 buck catalog, it has the tools you need, plus an OEM part number cross-reference inside that is useful.
Note: The bench stands do not ship with the chain. Hack one of yours apart.

p.s. I am in no way connected with Kick-Start M/C Parts as some lame-o on this site once suggested. I'm providing their name only because the people that own the shop are basic grease monkeys that might help you in ways other than just taking your money and hanging up. Generally, the more prepared you are with your needs and part numbers, written down on paper, the more time you will get for Q&A before the tacky buzzer goes off, indicating that your time is up.

I am one of the lame-o's that you are talking about.
You bring it on yourself. It is the way that you Pimp these guys constantly.
These "Grease monkeys" need to be willing to talk to you before they can "help in other ways".
There is no information in their catalog that is worth $5.00. Everything there can be had for free on the web.
Most retailers supply a free catalog if they want to sell. They figure that catalogs are good advertising.
When I called KS twice, I talked to rude people.
Anyone making a living in the retail/service business knows they will waste some of their time talking to people.
That is what keeps customers coming back--in addition to good prices.
The Lifeline that you constantly speak of----Other shops have access to the same parts as these people.
And they don't put you on a timer when talking to you.
Dale

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:09 am

Dale, I've spoken with a guy named Chuck at Kickstart and he has been great to work with, they also know panheads so it's like talking to a member here about a problem instead of a sales girl that has no experience beyond a computer screen. It's your choice of course, ask for Chuck!

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:00 am

Yes, Chuck can rival myself for rudeness. Almost.
He is the only "people" there.

But for a direct mailorder retail source for vintage HD hardware, he is as 'convenient' as they come.

Quality of hardware will always be a roll of the dice, as he sources from the same large distributors as most.

If you want better, which we all hope is out there somewhere, you must spend time searching high and low, and establish a rapport with someone you feel comfortable with.

And no, I'm not on his payroll, either.
(I would never work for anyone who would have me for an employee..... uh,Sorry Groucho.)

....Cotten

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:27 pm

I use cheap impact sockets from Harbor Freight Tools and a breaker bar.

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:37 pm

If you want better, which we all hope is out there somewhere, you must spend time searching high and low, and establish a rapport with someone you feel comfortable with.
I have done a lot of searching and some of the great people I have located are on eBay. There are a lot of people that sell there that also maintain not only a cyberstore, but a store front. My 51 was pretty much built with parts and hardware from these people. (I was only burnt once with one purchase with a pair of saddlebags that had welding spatter on the tops of them.---Bad pics)

There is no need to attempt to work or deal with rude people that claim to be professionals. There are to many others out there that truly are professional, both in their trade and or their hobbies, that are a pleasure to associate with.
It is great to deal with knowledgeable people when buying parts -- although not necessary, if you know what you want or need and have done your homework.
Thanks to a bunch of great guys, I do a lot of my research right here on this, and other great forums. I feel that the information on the forums is generally more sound, and complete, than the info that you get from some sales person whose qualifications are unknown. (The "want to be" professional mechanics, who actually know just enough to be dangerous, with the information that they post, sort themselves out in short order from the truly knowledgeable people on the forums.)
--Just one humble opinion--

Cotten---If you are rude, you certainly have not demonstrated it to me. You have been direct and to the point.

Thanks to all for the information shared on this great forum.
Dale

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:21 pm

I also use the cheap Harbor Freight sockets, but with a twist..)

Their 3/4" drive set that goes for $50 includes only "standard-depth" sockets, which will fit over the tranny input shaft, but the end of the input shaft will be right in the 3/4" drive opening, so you can;t us a breaker bar or a ratchet handle.

To get around this, I machined a 1" hex portion on the top of the socket, so I can drive it with a 1" socket and breaker bar.

VT

Post by VT » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Pics?

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:00 pm

When I first posted, I was thinking that pictures would make it easier. Here they are:

The problem:

With a regular 1-7/8" socket on it(Note how the shaft fills the square drive opening):

The modified Socket(1-1/2" hex portion machined on top):

The modified socket in place:

...and turning the socket with a 1-1/2" socket on a breaker bar:

Hope this helps!

(and those with sharp eyes will spot the fact that there are 2 different 1-7/8" sockets in these pics-I took them all today, and I did the mods a few months ago)

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:43 am

Here's my chance to be rude!

That worn-out sprocket is coming off, right?

And it is all coming apart to replace that exposed main drive gear bushing, right?

And it will all go back together with the missing deflector and lock-tab, right?

Just asking.

....Cotten
PS: If room cannot be found to install the tab and deflector, there is a geometry problem with the race in the case, thrustwasher, or spacer, or any combination of above. Please check for excessive endplay of the gear assembly.

Return to “Accessories”