Luggage rack mounting

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics

Luggage rack mounting

Post by Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 6:50 am

which way faces front on these luggage racks

Alright I feel really dumb, but.....which way faces front on these luggage racks, (53403-58D)?
Curved legs towards front or back? Since it fits either way, is there a definitive answer?

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Re: Luggage rack mounting

Post by PanPal » Tue May 24, 2005 2:56 am

I put the longer legs on the back. I see them installed both ways. It may be long legs in front with a solo seat and if you run a buddy seat long legs in back??? If someone ordered the luggage rack from the factory, it did not come mounted. You would receive the hardware and rack and the owner would install it.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Luggage rack mounting

Post by FlatHeadSix » Wed May 25, 2005 1:08 am

Long legs to the rear, so, looking at the picture you posted you are looking at the left side of the rack with the back of it toward the right side of the picture. This way it allows room for the auxilliary spring rail for the buddy seat to fold up and down and fit into the clip on the fender and it also positions the rack so you can swing the bottom of the rear fender up to fix a flat.
rack.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Accessories”