Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Windshield bead coming off

Post by awander » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:46 pm

I boughta V-Twin 51-0260 replica peaked windshield a few weeks ago, and I have put about 3oo miles on the bike since installing the windshield.

Today, on the way to work, the bead at the peak started buzzing, and then began to separate from the lexan shield. I put another 75 miles on it, and the top bead is completely seprated, held on only by the end brackets, and one of the beads on teh bottom shield is satring to come off.

I emailed Tedd about it, but I don;t know what, if anything, they will do for me.

Does anyone know what kind of glue or cement I should use, if I end re-attaching the bead myself? I don;t want to use anything that might damage the lexan shield.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Windshield bead coming off

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:49 pm

Andy,

I had good success with the same problem on the wife's servicar windshield using PVC pipe glue. Be VERY careful when applying it because it literally melts or fuses the two pieces of plastic together. Apply sparingly, and only to the nonvisible surfaces. Adhesion is instant! remove the side brackets and the entire bead, start at the peak and do a few inches at a time alternating sides. You may have to retrim the ends before putting the clamps back on.

good luck, let us know how it turns out. It will be most interesting to hear what the response is from Taiwan Tedd.

mike

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Well, I got a phone call from Tedd Cycle today-the guy said they have not heard of any others coming apart, and that don;t have any official recommendations for the type of glue to use, but that I should glue it with some kind of silicone sealer.

He said I could return it for warranty replacement through the dealer I bought it from.

When I asked about using the PVC cement, as suggested by Flatheadsix, he said that might work also.

I don;t want to be without a windshield while it gets shipped across teh country and back, so I glued it with the PVC cement-the hardest part was getting the entire inner channel coated with cement, with out the edges drying, but I think I got it. I didn;t think I could handle the "inches at a time" routine. We'll see hyow it holds up.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:18 am

That's the nice thing about silicone adhesive, more time to get everything lined up without the glue setting. Mike

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:56 am

That's a good point, Mike-but with the silicone, I was worried it would also have more time to leak out of the bead and onto the windshield surface.

Plus knowing that some here don't like silicone on a bike...:)

It seeems to have dried nice and strong-I will see tomorrow-I'm riding aboyt 75 miles to my brother's house-mosly highway-so it will have a good chance to come loose.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:59 am

well, my brother's house is actually a little over 100 mile away-no problems with the windshield (or anything else) on the trip

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:34 am

I always used a cyanoacrylic ester: 'superglue'!

It wicks in nicely without a mess if you are careful.

Please be careful.

.....Cotten

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:42 am

Cotten:

If it comes loose again, I am going to use something that will wick in-I was thinking of using acetone, as that is pretty thin, and should melt the plastics together.

Return to “Accessories”