LittleAl
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

installing a growler

Post by LittleAl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:34 am

Ok so I'm all over the place with my posts, lol. It's just that I'm finally getting close to being done...

Anyway, I have a growler I bought a few years ago and been sitting on it ever since waiting to put it on a bike. My Pan seems perfect but I cannot for the life of me figure a way to get it on. I believe they made a few styles, front, rear, cable, rod, whatever. The one I have is complete with pedal, rod & bracket. It's part number is from 1973, obviously made for a swingarm frame and aluminum primary. anyone ever try or better yet, have any success mounting one of these babies on a rigid frame?

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: installing a growler

Post by FlatHeadSix » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:27 am

Wow Al, are those legal?

My wife wanted me to put one on her '71 Servicar, those mounted thru the front fender and operated with a hand lever. They were butt ugly, almost as bad as the Delco alternator they hung on the front of the old flathead and covered with a huge fiberglass can.

I'm not sure about hanging the '73 foot version on a hardtail, it might be a challenge.

I can't wait to see your finished project. If you get the growler mounted and give it the two-tone Motor Maid paint job we want videos complete with audio for sure, plain photos won't do it justice!

mike

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:08 am

legal smegal, lol In new york if you have a good looking girl with you you can get away with anything and despite what I look like, my OL is pretty good looking!

it would definitely take some doing to get it to fit in a way that it will hit the back tire. I'm sure I could find a way to mount it but getting that shaft to clear the chain & guard & fender might be tough.

I was thinking of seeing if it might be easier to figure a way to mount it on the front tire and run it off a cable and lever, they originally did that too.

definitely gonna be a challenge but I will find a way. Maybe a good look at the parts book for the correct growler for my year will give me some ideas on how I can modify this one or even have some of the right mounting parts made up?

then again, I can always buy the repop one in the right version for my year, it's only $500 + to get something not original and that probably won't fit any better then my wrong one. yeah, right, lol

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:26 am

and if your that anxious to see my bike finished, just send me a blank check made out to my painter, it's the only thing really holding me up. Don't forget to add the small charge for video & picture production... lol

seriously, I can't wait to ride her, and to share the finished bike with you guys that have helped me through this project more then you'll ever know. Sometimes just knowing you guys are here to help is enough to keep me going. Collectively and individually you guys have been a wealth of experience, knowledge and encouragement

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm guessing you are talking about a police siren?

The only thing I have heard of being called a "growler" before is the ting used to test armatures from genarators and motors.

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:50 pm

yep, the police siren that runs off the rear tire, operated by foot pedal.

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:55 am

so nobody is gonna help? you mean I'm on my own? damn, I'm doomed, lol

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:54 am

Totally different mounting system than a rigid. Sell or trade it for the correct one. As far as legal most states have no restriction on it being there, only on if it is USED. At which point it becomes illegal without some certification as in VFD or other entity!
Robbie

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:15 am

robbie and al,

that was the same thought i had, trade it for the correct one!

here in wisconsin i know a couple of guys who have them. they say the siren is a pretty good tool for making deer run the other way when riding at night!

i cannot speak to the legality of using one but, i'd bet most LEO's would give you a pass if you wern't being an ass with it.

i still have red spot lamps on my bike i installed for a ride last year as a joke with my little brother who is a LEO. a couple of days ago a motor officer shooting radar in my neighborhood gave me 2 thumbs up as i rode by!

john

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 pm

this is what I laid out and what I figured:

these are all the parts, the bracket on the siren that mounts to the frame looks a little different then my parts book shows for the rigid frame. the pedal backing plate & pivot definetly ain't gonna work on the tin primary
siren2.jpg
this is the "hole" it's gotta go into. plenty of clearance with the drive chain, fender will have to but cut but don't think much. Gotta busy week this week and going away next week so I may have to wait a while to check the fender fit
siren3.jpg
if I make up some kind of clamp to replace the U bolt that is supposed to go on the swingarm I can make this mount to the lower tube work i think
siren1.jpg
I'll also need a bracket to go from the top of the siren bracket to either the top tube or (preferred) to the fender mount hole (top hole by the axle).
siren4.jpg
so what do you guys think? or better yet, who has a set of brackets for the rigid or the complete siren setup? More then will to work out some kinda swap, with cash if necessary!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 pm

I think I might have a line on a complete rigid mount unit for $450 completely restored. certainly will be a lot easier mounting the correct one if I can get it...

Flatheadjoe
Bikes: 1947 WL45

Post by Flatheadjoe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:53 am

I'm going through the same thing trying to mount my teardrop sterling to my 47 WL45 And I have the wrong bracket :?

Return to “Accessories”