tool roll

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

tool roll

Post by john HD » Mon May 25, 2009 10:39 pm

hey gang,

does anyone have a OEM tool roll?

my better half has an underutilized sewing machine. i thought if one could get a rough idea on size and material used they would not be too hard to make.

photos and measurements would be welcome!

thanks!

john

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: tool roll

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue May 26, 2009 2:41 am

John,
I have an original (I think) OEM tool bag from 1947. But, its nothing fancy, just a canvas bag with a flap and tie strings. I'm not sure if the traditional "roll" with all the slotted pouches for the individual tools was a factory standard back then.

I'll bet Chris would know.

I'll try to get some pictures and dimensions of the one I have.

mike

VT

Post by VT » Wed May 27, 2009 3:14 am

V-Twin has a (page 1221, '09 catalog) full of them. With and without tools. There's one for '36-57 and '58-64, both with tools. (48-0572) is their canvas roll (w/o) tools. Look in the catalog (they're free from V-Twin) and see what they have and make your own.
(48-3094) is a leather tool bag for the teardrop tool box. It's nice when you need the tools, to have them dirt free and waiting for you, when you need them on a road side repair.
toolkits.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Wed May 27, 2009 5:36 am

John,
The OEM one that I have is the plain pouch style issued by the factory with the standard WLA tool kit, its NOS, never had a tool in it. If you want to clone some of these I'll send it up.

I also have a couple of the rolls that VT is talking about with the slots for the individual tools, mine look like the one in lower left of the Taiwan Tedd catalog page. If you want one of those I can send it up also. I have never figured out how to get all the tools in the V-Twin roll and get it to fit into the teardrop tool box. if someone has the recipe I'd like to see it. The roll itself is very sturdy and holds all the tools you need, but when you get it rolled up and tied it is much better suited to the bottom of a saddle bag than the teardrop box.

let me know if you want either one, we'll work something out.

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VT

Post by VT » Wed May 27, 2009 6:12 am

Taiwan Tedd
Yeah, if it weren't for Ted, there wouldn't be any repop Knuckle & Pan parts in a 1280 page yearly catalog at all.
As for flathead, imo, they're not strong enough to pull a sick whore off a piss pot. They're scooters, not motorcycles. Exposed lower piston sleeve waiting to overheat and crack....who created those p.o.s anyway? Nothing but problems. There was a guy name Anders from Sweden, I knew him, that tried to push "Flathead Power" once. Flathead and power. Two words that don't belong together, imo.
On the tear drop leather bag. The tools fit loose in the leather bag. I don't think you can get much more than a 4-way screwdriver, 6" Crescent®, some plugs, some points, a lighter, a few joints....probably about it. But when you're broke down with closed points or minor stuff, it is nice, nice, nice to turn the keeper on the metal tool box, zip open that leather pouch and have your tools all warm and clean. It's like the only friend you got out on the cold road, that and the heat from the muffler.
I'd like to see someone lay out how much they can cram into one leather, tear-drop tool pouch. Even if you have to push the lid shut with your foot. As long as you can latch it, that's all that counts.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 am

mike,

i would be interested replicating the oem flathead one.

i think just an overall measurement would do. length x width and the space between slots. if you just measure it that would be fine with me!

the material appears to be standard WWII era canvas?

john

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 pm

I've got a nice tool roll that holds a ton of tools, problem is the bottom of the saddlebag can't take all that weight. Some stuff just has to stay home...Mike

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu May 28, 2009 4:03 am

VT wrote:
As for flathead, imo, they're not strong enough to pull a sick whore off a piss pot. They're scooters, not motorcycles. Exposed lower piston sleeve waiting to overheat and crack....who created those p.o.s anyway? Nothing but problems. There was a guy name Anders from Sweden, I knew him, that tried to push "Flathead Power" once. Flathead and power. Two words that don't belong together, imo.
You have obviously never ridden one.

Your opinion is a badly un-informed one, as even a tired and ready to die UL (or VL for that matter!) can pull you AND your whore right through your pisser: 74 cubic inches and the same flymass as a Pan is no "scooter".

Please stop repeating the buzz you hear at the bar, because it makes you sound worse than the barflies.

...Cotten

VT

Post by VT » Thu May 28, 2009 4:34 am

repeating the buzz you hear at the bar
Wouldn't ever want to be caught, seen sitting in a "juicer trap" or consuming alcohol or riding a flathead either. Junk science, imo, but have fun. 8)

NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift » Thu May 28, 2009 4:54 pm

quote="VT"]
You owe Anders an apology, cause you don't know the difference between a fortyfive and a big twin!.

NightShift

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Thu May 28, 2009 6:51 pm

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Quote:
Please mind these forum rules:
4. Treat others like you want to be treated yourself. In other words: show respect
5. Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
8) So this message is waiting for me this morning. :wink: But admin. or Panhead let Cotton blow-hard later. Guess who sent the message to me :?: "Panhead" or the (closet) *AMCA moderators? That's ok, as long as people keep learning something and moving forward. All of my comments posted anywhere on this site, I still stand by. If I didn't I could edit them. That's the beauty of this site. You can fine tune to say anything you want. No one really attacks you. I've never felt like that, still don't.
Anyway, for me, I like having the availability of the AMCA's knowledge base. The official AMCA site is lame. Tiny photo space. Limited freedom. Rates right up there with http://flatheadpower.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in attendance and contribution levels. The most read posts of any mechanical content are mine (Plumber), where I have to fight off idiots, & AMCA lames that didn't even own knuckles or pans, (but like a lot of people, they all have suggested "hands on" opinions),..... and little 45 or big 45 (imo, a flathead is still a flathead) moderators, that don't recognize that a Big Twin was ALWAYS out of most people's reach. The Big Twin is something that you have to work and sacrifice for. Just like Little Al's Pan.
Little Al has the right to an opinion. If you don't own a Pan, go seek a Flathead base. Tell yourselves they're the same as Big Twins. That's your own mutual admiration society. Pretend you're Big Twin.
* We're glad to have the AMCA as un-thanked moderators. Hard work keeping it fit for public consumption. But, your Flathead leanings come through when you won't let me edit this duplicated text in my "Now Come Problems" post. This site (server) has had a lag in posting edited material and this is double-posted:
ers comes from Stett, not me. If at any time (even during printing) we needed or wanted or for whatever reason, we wanted to change the text of either Vol. 1 or Vol. 2 we could have done so. All it would have taken was a call to Regent Publishing and our request would have been emailed to China and the presses (that run 24/7) would have stopped for us. Changing our text was never an issue for us. We're not Motorbooks Int. or Whitehorse Press. Stett and I controlled all of the content.
None of the procedures in either volume has ever been questioned. Use it. Trust it.
I've got more to say or edit, whenever I feel like it. As of today, I can say anything I want about any manufacturer or organization. Have not heard otherwise.
As mentioned earlier, all of the mfgrs. that make Big Twin (or little Twin) products that we use or buy will be invited to have one of their TECHS join http://hydra-glide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and give pilgrim builders some direct answers to their questions. [The tech's won't argue between themselves.] Business as usual, but now, we might have the mfgrs. solving problems as well, listing specific part numbers, and creating a constant work-flow.
From that, I expect the first thing that might improve is state of the art web hosting. Whatever it takes to be seamless production. No less than Harley-Davidson®.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Cont" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 20davidson
What's the price tag for something like that? We'll have a donation drive to meet the cost for a year and see if the manufacturers will donate enough for year 2.

NightShift

Post by NightShift » Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 pm

Whew!

Just please explain what you meant by "exposed?"

Respectful as always,
NightShift

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 pm

I wish I could get excited about something, Keep stirring that pot VT.. Mike

VT

Post by VT » Thu May 28, 2009 11:43 pm

get excited about something
Okay, then don't ask me about my opinion on anything beyond 1959 or it will get ugly. 1960 can be brought into the fold under the '59-60 tank emblem :arrow: (and be known as such), if the owner will remove the '60-up front fork and replace it with a '49-59 one and '49-53 or '54-59 handlebars.
Roll with a rigid frame, jockey top FX shifter cam, rocker clutch set-up and quit the toe-jarring, boring foot shift, middle-class style of riding. These are Panheads. I get all of my thinking done up a canyon and back by the beach in 37 round trip - Roll the pony into our shop, raise it 12" off the ground on the silent (neighbors love me and the back-pressured Big Twin), Bestway Hydraulic lift and I'm done for de-ionizing exercise. 37 miles a week. Ready for chores, because I can time it for a clear road, up an incline at 55-60 mph. Wringing the throttle.
So what :?: You're going let California and the federal government close down 49 states to one kit, emission-exempt Big Twins :?: After we already volunteered to ride our kit bikes a limited amount of miles and pay a huge carbon tax credit :?: Boy howdy, I don't think so. Not by the name VT :!:
- Not without giving the repop Harley kit build industry a massive dose of internet vitamin B complex. Note: There is some manufacturer, right now, who is in the right position to start this off.
We'll see who ends up first, to finish.

I'm working on the free enterprise business side-line document.
Custom Bike mfgrs. pay attention. Click the "notify me" option and you'll be the first to read it. We'll call the topic (tentatively) "Mfgrs. Repop Opportunity" and you can read it before Cyril Huze does.
Last edited by VT on Thu May 28, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NightShift

Post by NightShift » Thu May 28, 2009 11:58 pm

I need to know about flattys "Exposed lower piston sleeve waiting to overheat and crack"

What gets it so hot?

Respectful

NightShift

What ever happened to Anders?

Return to “Accessories”