Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

front fender light

Post by PanPal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:58 pm

I recently purchased a front fender light for my 59. It is the small light with the illuminated fin on top. A while back there was a thread with drawings on the locations of the holes in the fender. I am unable to locate this thread. Does anyone have the hole location dimensions for this type of fender light?

1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: front fender light

Post by 1950Panhead » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:10 am

If your light is 7.75" long the light is 4" from the fender tip, the stud is 9.5" from the fender tip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:14 am

I don't know the hole locations but I do know that all the factory installed ones have the top fin perfectly parallel to the ground. If mounted too far forward it points downhill and too far back the opposite.
Robbie

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't know the hole locations but I do know that all the factory installed ones have the top fin perfectly parallel to the ground. If mounted too far forward it points downhill and too far back the opposite.
Thats the exact same advise I got this weeknd from my buddy. Sure would be nice to get a dimension back from the tip of the fender. The fin on top is arched , so I may have to go off the light case.
If your light is 7.75" long the light is 4" from the fender tip, the stud is 9.5" from the fender tip.
I will measure it tonight, but I think the light I have is shorter may be 4.5 long. If I remember right Palmer said this light was offered up to 57 from the factory but could be ordered seperatly for later models and there were different color lenses offerered for different years. A true OE light should have Delco on the top of the fin and slotted screws holding the cover onto the base. It has 2 screw holes and a larger hole in the center for the wire.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:24 pm

That style fender light appears in accessory catalogs from '49 through '63. The amber and green lenses became available in '51 and were discontinued after '59.
It was always just an accessory and dealer or owner installed. It does not appear in any equipment groups or as a factory add on so there were no factory installed units to check mounting on.
With most accessories of that type H-D usually supplied a paper template for the holes. However on some models such as '54 or '55 with fender medallions the location may have had to be slightly different.
Palmer's book is great, but lots of accessory info is incorrect or missing altogether since lots of the accessories were sold for end user installation!
Robbie.

Return to “Accessories”