Problems with my linkert m74

Linkert related issues
Fastlane
Bikes: 51fl
66 flh

Problems with my linkert m74

Post by Fastlane » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:44 pm

I have a 51 project pan that is just about ready to start and run. I have never heard the bike run. I bought it as a 20 year ongoing project from a fellow who's health was prohibiting him from continuing. Anyway, I have had it about 4-5 months and been putting it back together. I put in a Mallory ignition yesterday and timed it and got it ready to fire. Two primes and 1 kick and it fired off...for a few seconds. Tried again and same thing, ran for a few seconds and died. At this time I noticed gas dripping from the bottom of the carb bowl and carb body. I tried again a few minutes later and it fired up and started to climb in revs very fast so I shut it down immediately! I assume I have an intake leak I need to check. The carb then dropped more gas as I tried to kick it over again. The bike doesn't drip if I am not kicking it so I think the float and needle are working properly( maybe not). Is there any special rebuild kit I should get for the carb? I want to get everything sorted out so I don't have any surprises. Thanks guys!

Cotten

Re: Problems with my linkert m74

Post by Cotten » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Fastlane!

From what has crossed my benches, there is no commercially available "kit" with adequate quality.
You would have to pick and choose from kits from multiple suppliers, and pay for extras that you would never use.

You will do best to order only what you need.
Individual parts are much easier to return for refund!

....Cotten
PS: Please be carefull with your M74 HS needle tip; It is rare, delicate, and hard to re-grind or reproduce.

Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Cotton, I pulled the carb apart today and it definatly needs some work/ cleaning. The float ( before it fell apart) looked like a burnt up ring of sausage. I have read that you sell the float. I also need all the gaskets for the carb. Do you sell those? How do I order the float from you? The needle was the all metal type and it looked fine as did the seat. Thanks!

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Fastlane!

Liberty only offers services, and hardware directly related.
We are not a mail-order retailer.

However, I cut DURABLE floats by my own hand as a service in itself, as no mass-produced replacements for Model M Linkerts use the latest, proven material.

Please post me direct at liberty@npoint.net

Thanks!

...Cotten
Liberty Motorcycle Specialties, Inc.
118 N. Washington St.
Lacon, IL 61540 USA
Last edited by Cotten on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm

I tries the email link and it bounced back. Is it correct?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Fastlane!

You think I don't even know my own address?

Doh!

This premature summer is takeing its toll on me....

Thanks for everyone's patience, and the long edit window,

...Cotten

Return to “Linkert”