Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Linkert Throttle

Post by Scrap »

Don't have handlebar internals. Using spring return "snap throttle". Anyone using an aftermarket S&S style dual cable push pull throttle?

blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Re: Linkert Throttle

Post by blewcrab »

not with a Linkert..the aftermarket snap throttle adapter is the only way I know of using a single cable throttle on a linkert...cant improve on a time tested method..

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Post by Scrap »

blewcrab wrote:not with a Linkert..the aftermarket snap throttle adapter is the only way I know of using a single cable throttle on a linkert...cant improve on a time tested method..
But sometimes the spring breaks..I hate that. Seems like another cable retainer could be inserted in a second hole drilled in the bellcrank on the adapter and operated as a push pull. I think it can be done, I just wondered if it's been done before.
Thanks for the reply

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Scrap wrote: ..But sometimes the spring breaks..I hate that.
Scrap!

It is extremely uncommon for a spring to break.
Heavy gauge wire springs would be the first to snap from over extention, but most folks would not want that hard of an action.

And the heavier the spring the more eccentric force it places upon the throttleshaft within its bushing, greatly accelerating wear.

Please use very light gauge springs, no stronger than necessary to return the cable.
If I remember right, the modern units with an extra idiot cable depend upon a spiral return spring on modern carbs, so you cannot escape using one, without going to internal control wires.

....Cotten

Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville

Post by Scrap »

Cotten wrote:
Scrap wrote: ..But sometimes the spring breaks..I hate that.
Scrap!

It is extremely uncommon for a spring to break.
Heavy gauge wire springs would be the first to snap from over extention, but most folks would not want that hard of an action.

And the heavier the spring the more eccentric force it places upon the throttleshaft within its bushing, greatly accelerating wear.

Please use very light gauge springs, no stronger than necessary to return the cable.
If I remember right, the modern units with an extra idiot cable depend upon a spiral return spring on modern carbs, so you cannot escape using one, without going to internal control wires.

....Cotten
OK I give up...If it ain't broke etc.

Return to “Linkert”