Linkert Floats

Linkert related issues
Cotten

Re: Linkert Floats

Post by Cotten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:59 pm

That was a horrible scan Folks,

And I cannot go back and edit, so here I have enhanced the green fluid level points, which are our primary objective.
levels2.jpg
For some reason, the NOS example is an anomaly, with other "light" floats unable to approach it. The heavy floats were scattered, with one approaching the level of much lighter examples.

The ~8.3g sample even shows the sightglass level below the fluid level, indicating that my methods and apparatus are not yet up to the task.

I fear that we must conclude that total weight alone is not an accurate measure of a float's static performance.

What makes the cork so remarkably different?
What makes the three brass floats remarkably different from each other?
Why does the Starklite produce a higher fluid level in the bowl than a brass of nearly the same weight?

The more I learn, the less I know, Folks!

.....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Mr. Big!

If the parcel smells like mineral spirits when you open it, its because I hand-picked you an Ultralight DURABLE that produced a "perfect" .625 fluid level.

Please be gentle with it, as the coarse-grained foam is quite brittle.

It's on its way,

....Cotten

ozwick86
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 pm

For some reason, the NOS example is an anomaly, with other "light" floats unable to approach it. The heavy floats were scattered, with one approaching the level of much lighter examples.

The ~8.3g sample even shows the sightglass level below the fluid level, indicating that my methods and apparatus are not yet up to the task.

I fear that we must conclude that total weight alone is not an accurate measure of a float's static performance.

Why does the Starklite produce a higher fluid level in the bowl than a brass of nearly the same weight?
Cotten,

I think "Archimedes Principal" has a lot to do with the different displacements of the various materials and or buoyancy of the floats.

http://www.climatechangematters.net.au/ ... oating.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 pm

ozwick86!

Here we have three floats (four including a Starklite not shown) of nearly identical volumes, and very close weights.
BRASSES.jpg
Yet their resulting fluid levels were dramatically different, as shown in the cluster to the right side of the levels graph.

I see no eureka moment.

Levels may well also depend upon where the weight is distributed, as one floated at quite an angle. Its mass must be excentric, and its distance from the pivot has come in to play.
The solder is sloppy on all of them.

Who knows, maybe the surface tension thing is a confusion.
My Ultralight DURABLEs are "furry"!

One thing for sure, the sightglass isn't nearly as reliable as direct measurement.
With the inevitable bubbles that would be introduced with a running machine, I fear it would just be a mess.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Just reviewing this long discussion, Folks,
Hauula Pan wrote:I dug out the 2 cork floats I have & measured their diameters, one is 2-13/32 the other is 2-11/32 the difference of 1/16th inch is enough to make the larger one not even fit into the bowl....
Hauula Pan!

The cork on the left in your photo may be Schebler, if it has straight sides, like the one on the right in this photo.
BEANFLOT.jpg
From the deep relief in its top, it may be for some other application, agricultural or automotive.

While selecting floats for volume comparisons with the gadget I posted on the first page of this discussion, I find some of my most valuable samples have been ruined:
CHEWED.jpg
I haven't an un-swollen Armstrong, nor an un-swollen Rubber Ducky to measure and compare.
Noticeably, my swollen Starklite shrank after months out of fuel.

....Cotten

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Just a few more notes while I try to find where I put my volume tester so I wouldn't lose it,....it could take weeks... Folks,

Upon review of previous posts, and my own notes of customer's autopsies, it would seem that Starklite's floats may vary surprisingly in weight.

Please note that the pivotnut in brasses and Starklite's are integral, and cannot be compared directly to other designs.
For this reason I have compared assemblies complete with lever, for most of which I installed the Starklite lever, which is perhaps .02g lighter than OEM examples.

Mr. Big!

Please carefully weigh your complete float with lever before removing it for the test float, as it may not weigh the full 15.3g as my premiere Starklite sample.
On my scales, a penny weighs 2.5g, a nickel weighs 5.1g, and a quarterdollar weighs 5.7g.
The test float weighed 7.8g with lever.

Looking forward to it,

...Cotten

Mr.Big
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Mr.Big » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 am

Will do. I think I have an old Armstrong float........

WZ507
Bikes: Whizzer
Mustang
Harley
BMW

Post by WZ507 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:27 am

Just curious as to the reproducibility of the test rig. For example, if you took 3 different floats and repeated the full procedure (mounting, filling, etc) 3 times for each float, what would the variability of readings for a given float be?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 pm

WZ507 wrote:Just curious as to the reproducibility of the test rig. For example, if you took 3 different floats and repeated the full procedure (mounting, filling, etc) 3 times for each float, what would the variability of readings for a given float be?
WZ507!

As I mentioned earlier, caliper readings were reproducing ±.015"(.38mm), a little better than the sightglass at ±.5mm.

Each weighed float assembly was measured first at its .250 installed height, of course;
Then the reservoir was opened to fill the bowl until the valve shut.

The sightglass required purging of bubbles each time.

About 5ml was then drawn from the top of the bowl to assure the float had cycled, and the sightglass reading was taken.
The withdrawal cycle was then repeated before the float height itself was taken, and then again before the fluid level was taken.

All caliper readings were taken at least three times, and the withdrawal cycle was repeated whenever the float was bumped by the caliper, or interruptions prevented immediate measurement.

All that the sightglass tells me is that great difficulties can be anticipated in trying to simulate the idle circuit.

The fluid level measurements confirm that it takes an unusually buoyant float to achieve the proper fluid level at a ¼" setting.

....Cotten
PS: I seem to need another 2oz plastic "smokeless tobacco" canister.
They don't show up in the dumpster like they used to...

hplhd
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer

Post by hplhd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:40 pm

ozwick86 wrote:

Cotten,

I think "Archimedes Principal" has a lot to do with the different displacements of the various materials and or buoyancy of the floats.

http://www.climatechangematters.net.au/ ... oating.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ahhh, but was Archimedes running a liberty float?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:12 pm

hplhd wrote: ahhh, but was Archimedes running a liberty float?
hplhd!

Back when I was riding with him, digestive fuels were not an issue.
MESOCOIN.jpg
If I can re-construct a volume determination apparatus like I pictured on the first page of this discussion, then we can characterize the density of different floats with as a ratio of their weight divided by their volume, in g/cc.
(I must expand my scrounge route to include the qwikymart dumpster for a suitable canister.)

...Cotten

rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Post by rodklop » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Tom.....I'm installing one of the Liberty Floats on my pan head. Saw your recomendation of Pliobond to cement the pivot screw. How long should it cure before putting into service.....Thanks in advance for your advise. . .Rod

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Rod!

As long as possible, of course.
It was about a week or so old when it survived my immersion tests last year, trusting a faulty memory.
(It cures quicker than JBWeld, but surface preparation is critical.)

My immersion tests for 2013 are overdue, as there is almost no R&D time left on the budget.

...Cotten

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Cotten,
I have a new unused Armstrong if you want it for research.
Robbie

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks Robbie!

I shall return it unharmed..

....Cotten
Liberty Motorcycle Specialties, Inc.
118 N. Washington Street
Lacon, IL 61540 USA

Return to “Linkert”